Self-driving cars, touted as the next big step in global technology, are seen as the remedy to America’s highway traffic and safety woes. They are most likely to be road-ready by the year 2020 and it has been reported that the test car has already traversed 300,000 miles without causing any accident, triggering beliefs that the use of self-driving cars would minimize risks of road accidents thereby lowering government expenses.
Download Self Driving Cars: How Will they Affect Auto Accident Laws?
- Self-driving cars, touted as the next big step in global technology, are seen as the remedy to America’s highway traffic and safety woes. They are most likely to be road-ready by the year 2020 and it has been reported that the test car has already traversed 300,000 miles without causing any accident, triggering beliefs that the use of self-driving cars would minimize risks of road accidents thereby lowering government expenses. In the wake of the overwhelming rise in the number of accidents in different parts of the United States, the news comes as a huge relief. In the year 2012, the number of crashes touched a whopping 287,050 with around 75,000 of the victims sustaining some form of injury. There are around 30,000 people in the United States of America who die every year in car crashes and traffic congestions costs the US Economy around 100 billion dollars a year, as per Winston’s research. There have been innumerable proposals ranging from reconstructing roads to retiming lights. However, the reported governmental under-investment on highway systems has necessitated the introduction of non-governmental solutions. Self-Driving Cars: Can they Ensure Safety? 40 percent of these lethal accidents caused in the United States are owing to human errors including drunk-driving, fatigue, sleepiness, distraction, etc. Robot-driven wheels, on the other hand, are likely to ensure better safety standards in that case. There are others, however, who believe that there is no assurance that these cars would help minimize the risks of road accidents as there is still no written record or statistics to substantiate these OPINION SELF DRIVING CARS: HOW WILL THEY AFFECT AUTO ACCIDENT LAWS? MARCH 22, 2014 | INJURY GUIDE| LEAVE A COMMENT Injury Guide Pri m ary M enu converted by Web2PDFConvert.com
- claims. Kara Kockelman and Daniel Fagnant- the authors of Eno Report from the University of Texas have presented an illustrative tally of car crash cost savings with the help of Autonomous or self-driving cars: Cost Savings on Crashes from Self- driving cars 90% 50% 10% Live Saved (each year) 21,700 9,600 1,100 Fewer Crashes 4,220,000 1,880,000 211,000 Comprehensive Cost Savings $ 355.4 B $ 158.1 B $ 17.7 B Economic Cost Savings $ 109.7 B $ 48.8 B $ 5.5 B Comprehensive Cost Savings per car $ 3,100 $ 2,480 $ 1, 390 Economic Cost Savings Per Car $ 960 $ 770 $ 430 Will they Complicate Auto Accident Laws? The cars, operated with the help of artificial intelligence, are deemed as a huge problem in the realm of Personal Injury. What happens when a driver-less car is at fault (during a road accident)? Some attorneys opine that it would be difficult to sue an autonomous car on grounds of negligence as it is something determined by the “prudent person standard”. There are others who argue that the person/persons who set the controls of the car would be held responsible if the car causes an accident. If it’s the manufacturer who set the controls then it’s a product defect. In case, the driver has fixed the controls (or operate the car himself) then he can be sued for negligence in the wake of an accident Conclusion Forbes reports that auto manufacturers are mulling the use of same radio spectrum that is used for Wi-Fi at present. This has raised complications further, as it is presently speculated that the use of this particular technology might hamper communication between the car and the satellites, in case, someone else in the nearby area is busy with a heavy download on his PC. Author Bio: Alex G. Tovarian has the experience of dealing with some of the most complicated Personal Injury and Employment Law cases in California. He is currently heading the Law Offices of Alex G. Tovarian which has three set-ups in San Francisco, San Jose and Sacramento. To know more, please visit his site: www.agt-lawyers.com converted by Web2PDFConvert.com
- Related posts Are Driving Laws Enough to Deter Road Incidents? Top 3 Most Common Personal Injury Claims Distracted Driving Survey Shows 21% Surf Web at the Wheel How to Avoid Pedestrian Accidents 5 Things to do if Involved in a Road Traffic Accident PREVIOUS POST Giving a Deposition: The Basics LEAVE A REPLY Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked * Name * Email * Website Comment You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong> POST COMMENT Confirm you are NOT a spammer DIRECTORY Add Your Firm converted by Web2PDFConvert.com
- RECENT POSTS Self Driving Cars: How Will they Affect Auto Accident Laws? Giving a Deposition: The Basics Five Suggestions If You Think Your Job May Harm Long-Term Health Medical Mistake: 5 Most Common Causes of Malpractice Suits Learn how to Identify and Stop Elder Abuse MARCH 2014 M T W T F S S « Feb 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 converted by Web2PDFConvert.com
- RECENT COMMENTS Shane on How Distractions Can Make Winter Driving Even More Dangerous AltheaNicoleBreint on Wrongful Death: Avoidable Accidents 47 DIRECTORY ATLANTA AUSTIN BOSTON CHICAGO COLUMBUS DALLAS DENVER HOUSTON INDIANAPOLIS JACKSONVILLE LOS ANGELES NASHVILLE NEW YORK OKLAHOMA CITY PHILADELPHIA PHOENIX RALEIGH SACRAMENTO SAINT PAUL converted by Web2PDFConvert.com
- SAN ANTONIO SAN DIEGO SAN FRANCISCO SAN JOSE WASHINGTON DIRECTORY Add Your Firm CATEGORIES How-To's Information News Opinion Q&A Copyright © 2014 Injury Guide converted by Web2PDFConvert.com