Team Kashpiers "Baja 2013"
SAE Baja is an Inter-colligate off road racing competition where the top engineering colleges in India successfully fabricate and race there all-terrain vehicles. The competition has various automotive giants like Mahindra, General motors etc. powering the event. The contest challenges each team to function as a firm whose objective is to design, fabricate, market and race off their vehicles that would be evaluated on a variety of manufacturing angles by various professionals from the sponsoring automotive companies.
- DAYANANDA SAGAR COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING BANGALORE
- TECHNICAL FEATURES
- VIEWS ISO SIDE TOP FRONT
- ROLL CAGE DESIGN MATERIAL TUBINGS SAE 1018 MILD STEEL WALL THICKNESS 3mm COCKPIT DIMENTIONS 1000*700m m2 LENGTH 84.52 in HEIGHT 31.49 in WIDTH 61 in No. OF WELDS 44 WELD LENGTH 46.2 in TUBE Od 27mm TOTAL WEIGHT 70 kg
- FRONT ANALYSIS Material AISI 1018 Steel Density 7.7 Kg/m^3 Yield Strength 386 MPa Tensile Strength 634 MPa Poisson's Ratio 0.27-0.3 Material Specification Analysis Results Maximum Stress 124.88 MPa Maximum Displacement 1.4411 mm Acceleration 3g
- REAR ANALYSIS Material AISI 1018 Steel Density 7.7 Kg/m^3 Yield Strength 386 MPa Tensile Strength 634 MPa Poisson's Ratio 0.27-0.3 Material Specification Analysis Results Maximum Stress 269.557 MPa Maximum Displacement 4.4239 mm Acceleration 3g
- SEAT AND ENGINE ANALYSIS Material AISI 1018 Steel Density 7.7 Kg/m^3 Yield Strength 386 MPa Tensile Strength 634 MPa Poisson's Ratio 0.27-0.3 Material Specification Analysis Results Maximum Stress 19.4926 MPa Maximum Displacement 0.3291 mm Load 146 kgf
- SIDE ANALYSIS 1 SIDE ANALYSIS 2 ROLL OVER ANALYSIS ROLL OVER ANALYSIS
- POWER TRAINENGINE SPECS Briggs and Stratton Model 205432/205332 Power = 10HP Compression Ratio= 8:1 Torque = 18.6Nm at 2600rpm 305 CC Four Stroke Gear R Overall ratio Max speed kmph Tractive force (N) Acceleration(m/s*s ) Gradeability% 1st 31.48:1 12.42 1798.66 5.45 45.56 2nd 18.7:1 20.91 1068.46 3.237 23 3rd 11.4:1 34.3 651.358 1.97 10.12 4th 7.35:1 53.2 419.95 1.27 2.97 rev 55.08:1 7.1 3147.09 9.5366 87.2134 For TIRE DIAMETER 22 inch, max speed at red line rpm is 48.77kmph For TIRE DIAMETER 24 inch, max speed at red line rpm is 53.2kmph Therefore selecting 24 inch diameter for the rear tire : Taking, N = Transmission Efficiency = 0.8 Mo =Gross mass of the vehicle = 330 kg Fr=Coefficient of rolling friction for vehicle on dirt track = 0.1 TRANSMISSION:MAHINDRA CHAMPION ALFA
- CHAIN COUPLING MATERIAL MS1024 PITCH 12.7mm NO OF TEETH 15 PITCH DIA 62mm VELOCITY 8m/s REQUIRED PULL 2138N ALLOWABLE PULL 1137.5 NO OF STRANDS OF THE CHAIN 2 LENGTH OF CHAIN 1194mm MAX DIFFERENCE BETWEEN 2 CENTERS 550mm DIAMETER REAR AXLE CALCULATIO NS MATERIAL SOLID STEEL 8620 TORQUE=F OS x GERA RATIO x MAX ENGINE TORQUE T= 2x 55.08x 19 = 2093.04 N- m9 T=(p/16) x t xdo 3 MAXIMUM PERMISSAB LE SHEAR STESS T T=897x 10^6 N/m2 T=2093.04 Nm 2093.04=(3.14 /16)x 897x 10^6 Xdo 3 Do 3=1.19x 10-5 Do=0.0228 Do= 22.8mm MAX SHEAR STRESS DUE TO ENGINE TORQUE 897/2= 448.5 N/mm2 TRANSMISSION Rpm vs Speed Rpm vs Tractive effort
- TYPE : OUTBOARD UNEQUAL(FRONT) DOUBLE A ARMS WITH ADJUSTABLE CAMBER USING BALL JOINTS SHOCK ABSORBERS: COIL OVER DAMPER ROLL CENTRE HEIGHT : 4 CAMBER ANGLE : 0 DEGREES CASTOR ANGLE : +5 DEGREES CASTOR TRAIL : 2.43 cm TOE : 0 DEGREES SPRING MATERIAL : CHROME VANADIUM STEEL FRONT REAR SPRING STIFFNESS 7.8956 N/mm 11.8435 N/mm DAMPING FACTOR 0.3 0.3 DAMPING CO EFFICIENT 0.377NS/mm 0.565NS/mm DAMPED NATURAL FREQUENCY 1.9078 Hz 1.9078 Hz DESIGN WIRE DAIMETER 10 mm 12 MEAN COIL DIAMETER 80 mm 96 NO OF TURNS 25 20 FREE LENGTH 460.5 mm 454.5 PITCH 17.62mm 21.525mm SUSPENSIONS
- SUSPENSION ANALYSER FRONT TOP A-ARM ANALYSIS DIVE CASTE R Lt. CASTE R Rt. CAMBE R Lt. CAMBE R Rt. RC Lt/ RT,in LT RC Lt/ RT,in RT RC Ht, In LT RC Ht, In RT SCRU B In LT SCRU B In RT .000 3.951 3.951 .000 .000 .000 .000 3.997 3.997 .000 .000 -.500 3.955 3.955 .668 .668 .000 .000 4.860 4.860 .127 .127 -1.00 3.960 3.960 -1.098 -1.098 .000 .000 5.704 5.704 .361 .361 -1.50 3.966 3.966 -1.436 -1.436 .000 .000 6.504 6.504 .659 .659 -2.00 3.975 3.975 -1.737 -1.737 .000 .000 7.367 7.367 1.010 1.010
- STEERING > MODIFIED MARUTI 800 RACK AND PINION WHEEL TRACK 67in WHEEL BASE 58in STEERING AXIS INCLINATION (SAI) 12 SCRUB RADIUS 7.8mm ACKERMANN ANGLE 17 TIE ROD LENGTH 38.29 in INNER STEERING ANGLE 44 OUTER STEERING ANGLE 31.5 TURNING RADIUS 3.38m STEERING RATIO 9.7:1 STEERING WHEEL LOCK TO LOCK 610 STEERING
- Brake Components & Remarks Components All 4 Disc combination used to achieve 4 Wheel Lock . Disc Used Apache RTR 180 (Rear) Caliper Used 3Apache RTR 180 (Front) and 1 Honda Aviator Master Cylinder Used Maruti 800 Bosch Tandem Master Cylinder (OEM) Aluminum Brake Lines, Hydraulic Brake hoses, Banjo bolts etc. Remarks The Disc and Calipers being used are the same as previous year. The reason being its Reliability and to ease up the Budget. (Spares will be bought in case any malfunctions.) This particular combination of Calipers is chosen due to its Ease of Mounting Bleeding points on top. Bosch Tandem Master cylinder is used because of its Compatibility with the Calipers and BAJA recommends use of OEM. Diagonal Braking Circuit Split used so that braking power is available on both Axles in case
- BRAKING SYSTEM & CIRCUIT SPECIFICATION S VALUE DISC DIAMETER Outerinner 200mm/170mm CAPILER PISTON/MASTER CYLINDER DIAMETER 20mm/20mm BRAKE FORCE (N) 2750.55 N STOPPING DISTANCE 13.516 meter (54.0 Km/hr) STOPPING TIME 1.8 +0.3+0.75 sec (54.0 Km/hr) DECELERATION 8.3235m/s^2 DECELERATION avg. 5.26m/s^2 PEDAL FORCE 40 kg SPECIFICATIONS VALUE PEDAL RATIO 7:1 STATIC AXLE LOAD (FRONTREAR) 582.714N/ 2654.6N DYNAMIC AXLE LOAD (front/rear) 896N/ 2341N WEIGHT TRANSFER 808.48N BREAKING TORQUE 582.38N-m TRACTION FORCE ON SLOPE 2289.117N CYLINDER PRESSURE 7.876MPa MASTER CYLINDER LOSSES 0.125cc
- ELECTRICALS BATTERY 12 V HEAD LAMP 15W HORN 10W REVERSE LIGHT 3W LED REVERSE ALARM 10W BRAKE LIGHT 5W
- SAFETY & ERGONOMICS 2 Kill switches (ski do type) are fitted at the dashboard and the top right corner of the vehicle. SFI & FIA Certified Race Suit, 5 Point Seat belt. Certified Motocross Helmet, Gloves, Neck Brace, British standard Goggles & Arm Restrainers. The figure below suggests that the driver can exit & enter from the vehicle conveniently within 5 seconds as suggested in the rule book. BINOCULAR VIEW
- DESIGN FAILURE MODE EFFECTS ANALYSIS PART FUNCTION FALIURE MODELS PRECAUTIONS ROLL CAGE TO PROTECT THE DRIVER WHEN MATERIAL REACHES THE ULTIMATE STRESS VALUE USE OF AISI 1018 STEEL HAVING YEILD STRESS VALUE OF 386 MPa ENGINE TO GENERATE POWER SPARK PLUG FAILURE/ IMPROPER FUNCTIONING OLD FILTER REGULAR CHECK OF SPARK PLUG FILTER CHANGE TRANSMISSION TO TRANSMIT POWER FROM ENGINE TO WHEELS IMPROPER LUBRICATION/ UNEXPECTED LOAD USE OF ISO GRADE OILS. SUSPENSION TO ABSORB SHOCKS WHEN COIL REACHES TO SOLID LENGTH PROPER ASSUMPTIONS IN DESIGNING. STEERING TO STEER THE VEHICLE BREAKING OF TIE ROD TIE ROD PLACED BEHIND THE FRONT A-ARMS BRAKES TO REDUCE THE SPEED WHEN REQUIRED AND TO PANIC STOP CIRCUIT FALIURE DUE TO LEAKAGE WORNOUT BRAKE PADS BLEEDING THE BRAKES BEFORE EVERY RUN REGULAR CHECK AND REPLACEMENT WHEELS TO PROVIDE GOOD TRACTION INAPPROPRIATE AIR PRESSURE PUNCTURE/TEAR CHECK THE AIR PRESSURE AT EACH REFUEL SPARE TIRES
- Vehicle Statistics Number of wheels 4(not in a straight line) Width 64 Length 108 Drivers weight & height 113.4kg & 63 Top speed 60km/hr Engine Statistics Required engine B&S Displacement 338 cc Power 11hp/8 kW Spark plug RC12YC Idle speed 1300+/-100 Air filter inlet diameter 22mm Governor setting 3600 r.p.m(max) Fuel tank capacity 6 litre Exhaust System Mufflers Back pressure 450mm of water column Exhaust pipe Any length Exhaust pipe clearance dimension 100mm(min.) Battery Requirements Battery 12V, 44Ah Transponders Orientation Vertical to frame Location 24 above the track(max.) Roll cage material specifications Outer diameter 1(min.) Wall thickness .12 Carbon content .18% Miscellaneous Drivers exit time 5 seconds Firewall thickness .020 Fire extinguishers 1 litre(min.) Shoulder harness mounting 7 to 9 Drip pan diameter 8 Head restraints Minimum area 36sq inches Density of padding 50-100kg/m^3 Minimum thickness 1.5 Head clearance from seat 41 Head clearance from helmet 6 Rule Book Compliance
- 2012 2013 Anti Ackerman steering Ackerman steering geometry Engine Mounting: Direct Coupling Chain Sprocket is used A Bumper was provided No bumper is provided Bolt and nut pivot was used Ball Joint pivot is used Equal and Parallel A-Arms Unequal and parallel A-Arms Tie-rod was in front of the A-Arms Tie-rod is behind the A-Arms Tyre size: Front 21in, Rear 22in Tyre size: front 22in, Rear 24in VARIATIONS IN DESIGN
- VARIABLE CHAMBER MECHANISM - The variable camber mechanism is a modification in the front suspension design which will allow us to vary the camber angle at will. This is done through using adjustment bolts which will help vary the distance between the upper knuckle joint and the chassis. Camber can be varied in test runs and the optimum camber can be decided for the particular condition. INDEPENDENT FENDERS-The fender is a removable attachment to the A-arms of the suspension which help to block dirt & sludge away from the driver. It is mounted on the A-arms using pipe brackets hence avoiding drilling of any holes. The assembly is spring loaded allowing it to undergo slight deflections and not making it rigid and prone to failure. INNOVATIONS
- MARKETING & SPONSORSHIP
- SOCIETY OF AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERS (SAE) A non-profit organization based at Detroit, USA Working with a mission to enhance human capability of Mobility Engineering professionals air, land and sea. It strives to achieve it through Establishing engineering standards Professional Development Programmes Capturing the latest technology and trends Research publications Seminars & Conferences APAC, SIMC, etc. Student Development Programmes Student Convention BAJA SAE Formula SAE AeroDesign The society has over 100,000 registered members across the globe. It operates globally through its national chapters and affiliations with other bodies such as FISITA, etc. The Indian chapter contributes maximum number of members 25000 registered members
- INDUSTRIAL AFFILIATION OF BAJA SAEINDIA Dassault Systemes Delphi Mahindra & Mahindra Mahindra Navistar Maruti Suzuki NATRIP EASI Eaton EMITEC ETAS Precimaxtech PTC Sundaram Clayton Toyota Kirloskar Motors FIAT Fleetguard Force Motors FORD TVS Motors UCAL Fuel Varroc Volvo India ZF Steering Ever since its inception, the event has been well received by the industry. Some of the associates of BAJA SAEINDIA include: Anand Automotive Systems Gabriel GM India HCL Ansys ARAI Ashok Leyland AVTEC ICAT ITW Chemin JK Tyres John Deere Boeing Bosch Bharat Petroleum Brakes India Johnson Matthey Liugong Lombardini Cumminsa
- SAE INDIA BAJA Baja is an inter-collegiate design competition organized by the Society of Automotive Engineering (SAE) Provide Indian students with a standard platform to showcase their talent and potential not only in terms of design and engineering, but also their capability for team-work, entrepreneurial skills and management. The contest challenges each team to function as a firm, whose task is to design, fabricate, market and race-off an off-road vehicle that will be evaluated on a variety of manufacturing angles. The vehicles are judged based on their ability to maneuver and transverse harsh off-road racing course while not succumbing to the rigors of it.
- TEAM KASHPIERS @ DSCE Started in May, 2010. With a mission of meeting the necessities and requirements of the industry by gaining practical knowledge and hands-on-experience. Amongst the Top-3 Collegiate Clubs in the Nation in terms of Members Strength, with 800+ members as of today. One of the most active Collegiate Clubs in the Country with atleast one event in a fortnight! Hosted a NATIONAL EVENT in just 14 months since formation. XXX, Princeton Review , Global Solution , Briggs and Stratton are few of our previous years sponsors.
- STATUS UPDATE 10 59 68 84 39 ZONE WISE DISTRIBUTION EAST WEST NORTH SOUTH CENTRAL
- THE BAJA STORY 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 54 75 80 100 130106 146 198 250 300 BAJA MAIN EVENT VIRTUAL BAJA
- MEDIA PRESENCE
- SPONSORSHIP BENIFITS The Company will gain ETHICAL value and provide moral support for the budding engineers of the future. Company name will be placed with Team name in all BROCHURE, college NEWSLETTER(Teckriti) , ANNUAL COLLEGE FESTS & AUTO EXPOS (Bangalore). BANNERS, PORSTERS, FLYERS of specific sizes will be displayed on campus The event is sponsored by various industrial giants like MAHINDRA , JK TYRE, ANSYS Print, Television, Radio media like DNA, DECCAN HERALD, TV 9 supporting the Team The company name will be published in the team WEBSITE. The company name will be displayed on the car at all times, bring it into the limelight. The competition will be witnessed over 5000s of graduating engineers attracting them to the company The company will be displayed on the PARKING SLIP which will have a distribution rate of 600 per day. The event will be witnessed by various GM, CEO & MDs of the public and private sector companies.
- FRONT VIEW SIDE VIEW The company will also feature on the helmets, Team T-shirts, Driver uniform, Pit area, Bags, Business Cards & College Magazines The sponsoring company can use the college premises for advertisement and publicity SPONSORS SPACE
- COST REPORT PARTICULAR Bill Amt in Rs Currently 1. VIRTUAL REGISTRATION 15,000/- Sponsored by college 2. BAJA REGISTRATION 35,000/- Sponsored by college 3. MATERIAL (CHROMOLY OR MILD STEEL 1024) 35,000/- 4. FORGING 3,000/- 5. TOOLS 25,000/- 6. FABRICATION 25,000/- 7. STEERING 5,500/- 8. SUSPENSION & ASSEMBLY 30,000/- 9. BRAKES 16,330/- Sponsored by TVS 10. TYRES 60,000/- Sponsored by CEAT 11. NUTS&BOLTS 3,000/- 12. FIBERGLASS 5,000/- 13. ELECTRICALS 4,000/- Sponsored by Minda 14. PAINT 5,000/- 15. TRANSMISSION 16. ENGINE (SERVICE) 17.TRANSPORT TO VENUE ( WITH INSURANCE) 18. TEAM TRAVEL AND ACCOMODATION 25,000/- 6000/- 25000/- 60000/- TOTAL 3,82,300 Sponsored by B&S
- ENGINE & DRIVE 35% TRANSMISSION 11% STEERING 2% SUSPENSION 8% FRAME & BODY 7% BRAKES 6% ELECTRICAL 2% SAFETY 13% MISCELLANEOUS 16% MAJOR COST BREAKUP GRAND TOTAL OF THE PROJECT : 3,82,300 .
- Monetary Assistance Fund our project where we both benefit on the long run. Your company logo will be placed on various parts of the vehicle as well as on the drivers apparel and helmet . PUBLICITY. Parts & accessories - Numerous parts are required in building the ATV like shockers , welding rods , frame /chassis metal , steering, speedometers, electrical systems, ignition systems and other components. Any material assistance is appreciated and the company logo will be placed on the vehicle. Benefits depends one the cost of the part/material. Technical Assistance Our design team will require technical assistance frequently in order to solve real time problems . Your help will be greatly appreciated as technical sponsor and company logo will be advertised on the vehicle .Benefits depends on the level Assistance. Travel sponsors- our entire team will require to travel to various destinations across the country to compete and exhibit our vehicle .Also the cost of 20 people traveling for the competition. All Benefits will be provided to the sponsor. They will fall into the silver sponsor category. Transport sponsor- The team will require frequent delivery of parts for various places. A major portion of the cost will be incurred on transporting the car to the venue. This sponsor will fall into the Silver sponsor catogery Media Sponsors The entire team and the vehicle will have exclusive media coverage during the making as well as participation in the rally which will propagate your companys presence as a sponsor .Social, Television, Radio, Print . NOTE- Details on the size, location, Frequency of distribution of banner, posters, flyers, brochures, newsletters, advertisement spaces and social media publicity will be provided. Regular updates will be provided to all sponsors.
- TITLE PLATINUM DIAMOND GOLD SILVER BRONZE Name to be placed before team name * - - - - - Flex Banners 8ft x 6ft 8ft x 4ft 6ft x 6ft 6ft x 4ft 4ft x 4ft 3ft x 2ft Company Logo in the PIT LANE FRONT BACK SIDE SIDE SIDE WORKSH OP Part of placement & training program * * * - - - Hyperlink to all associated sites FIRST SECON D THIRD FOURTH FIFTH SIXTH Name of Co. on the brochure FRONT BACK INSIDE FRONT BACK INSIDE FRONT BACK INSIDE BACK INSIDE INSIDE INSIDE Logo on Team Apparel * * * * * *
- DESIGN 1-Suhas VR 2-Sagar M 3-Abhishek M DESIGN ELECTRICALS & BRAKES 1-Apoorv B 2-Avijit P POWERTRAI N 1-Hansel P 2-Vinay SN 3-Dheeraj J 4-Huzefa P 5-Divyanshu P MARKETING 1-Mohit M 2-Anurag S 3-Gaurav A 4-Siddhart P K SUSPENSION 1-Varun J 2-Deepak K STEERING 1-Pavan K 2-Girish P
- THANK YOU TEAM KASHPIERS