Emerging trends and changes in pharmaceutical marketing... from search and currency changes to evolving ways to engage via social-media and benefit from crowd sourcing. by Joe Shields (http://www.joeshiledsphotography.com) and Kevin Nalty (http://www.naltsconsulting.com)
2. 3. 4. 5. Search Silence boxed warning medicine 6. What if there was acompany that has already embraced this future? 7. Reforming Pharma Marketing: ACase Study Kevin Nalty & Joe Shields October 15, 2009 8. Alphamunex Headquarters in Clayton, MO (near St. Louis) 9. Alphamunex Board includes several notable execs from Silicon Valley 10. CEO OSM* Sales Clinical R&D * Office of Social Media: Oversees all Marketing, PR, Customer Insights, IT & Customer Service functions 11. Sample Customer Design Lab managed via Facebook & other emerging platforms. 12. Social Media Command Center helps OSM staff monitor shifts in customer sentiment Illustrative 13. High- and low-tech devices enable direct, real-time communication with FDA 14. Hey how come Ive never heard of this company? 15. KEVIN NALTY + JOE SHIELDS SHAPINGTHE FUTURE HEALTHCARE MARKETING SHAPING FUTURE THE 16. shift CURRENCY 17. New Media, New Influencers
- Every new medium creates new stars
- Faster shift from obscurity to fame
18. Now Who Are Medical KOLs?
- Scientific publications ?
- Anyone that is persuasive& reaches our customers?
OR 19. Redefining Influence
- Traditionally based on subject expertise
- Persuasion now more a function ofcharisma & reach
vs. brand.com happyslip 20.
- Explosive growth: 41% in past year
Currency of Online Video 21. Currency of Real-time
- Twitter isntabout Twitter
- Its real-time buzz & word-of-mouth you can measure
- Buzz can build or destroy brands
- Monitoring & engaging requires major process changes by Rx manufacturers
22. At Least Listen 23. Search rethink 24. Old School Health Searching 25. Today, Search = Google
- Search haschangedhealth searchers
What will Search look like tomorrow? 26. Square & Compare 27. Mobile Search on the Brink
- Mobile search growth follows desktop trends
Source : Veronis Suhler Stevenson and Merrill Lynch Estimates, June 2008. 28. Results Beyond Text 29. Searching the Past vs. the Now
- "Google organized our memory. Real-time search organizes our consciousness."- CT
Source : http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/magazine/17-10/st_thompson 30. Search via the Social Graph
- [O]ur network of friends, colleagues, peers, and family is our primary source of information, just as it is offline. - MZ
- [W]hat happens on Facebook's servers stays on Facebook's servers. - author
Source : http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/magazine/17-07/ff_facebookwall riends& amily riends& amily 31. wisdom of CROWDS 32. Can Crowds Be Wise? 33. Make Better Decisions Faster 34. Connecting Today Is Easy 35. Choosing a Doctor
- Passive consumers of physician services
- Fewer than 25% considered >1
- 75% used recom-mendation from friends, colleagues & relatives
Source : How Do Patients Choose Physicians? Katherine Harris (2003). BEFORE LATE 1990sTODAY 36. Even Doctors Visit Social & Ratings Sites Ratings &ReviewsCommunity& Forums VitalsHealthGrades UCompareHealthCare HealthBoardsWrong Diagnosis MedHelp WellSphere Yahoo! Groups eHealth Forum Source : Experian Hitwise, 12 weeks ending 8/22/09. 37. What Would YOU Do? I have thyroid cancer Whom do I trust to help me? 38. Patient Crowdsourcing
- Misery likes company. Another approach to evidence-based medicine?
Founder Alex via e-mail: While I was sick I didn't know anyone with my condition that I could compare notes with, so I really wanted to help other people find faster paths to health we're like Yelp for Health. 39. Review for those Twittering 40. Slides for this talk & free white paper on Social Media Policies available at: www.Alphamunex.com 41. BIG FINISH Just more continuous, small changes thatwewill make. Actually, there is no