Follow these steps to develop a smart, effective blogging strategy -- whether you're blogging for business or personal reasons. Learn how to measure your progress, develop topic ideas, attract the right kind of readers and promote your content.
- 1.HOW TO: Launch & Grow a Successful Blog A Blogging Bootcamppresented by Thurber House Heather Whaling @prTini [email_address] prTini.com facebook.com/GebenCommunication
2. introductions 3. Case Study:Geben Gives 4. shared on Twitter 5. shared on Facebook 6. nearly 8,000 votes later 7. 75% of my companys business stems from relationships that began via social media, particularly blogging and Twitter 8. whats a blog? 9.
- A blog is a type of website that is usually arranged in chronological order from the most recent post (or entry) at the top of the main page to the older entries towards the bottom.
--Problogger .com 10. Your Turn: What blogs do you read? Why do you like them? 11. so, you want to blog 12. Reasons to Blog
- Build a community of like-minded people
- Keep up with family/friends
Types of Blogs 14. Young house Love 15. Naked redhead 16. 17. 18. 19.
- If you build it, they will come doesnt apply to most blogs.
Creating SMART Blog Goals 21. exercise:establish a goal. 22. Attracting Readers
- Interests (online & offline)
- Favorite book, movie, magazines
- What do they like to read/see online?
- Why are they coming to your blog?
- What challenges do they face?
- Whats their financial situation?
- How familiar are they with your topic?
23. exercise:profile 3 potential readers 24. time to start creating content 25. Types of Blog Posts
26. Traffic-Attracting Posts
- How to find the best Black Friday bargains
- Using social media to honor veterans
- DIY (posts with ideas readers can implement)
27. exercise:write headlines for 5 types of posts that support your goals 28. content creation is only the beginning 29. Promote Yourself & Your Blog
- Create companion videos on YouTube
- Leverage other online & offline presence
- Participate in memes and projects of others
- Speak at events and workshops
- Incentivize subscriptions
- Interview someone/be interviewed
30. tips & best practices 31. Assimilate into the Culture
- Understand the blogosphere:
- Regularly read other blogs
- Read things outside your niche
- Link to other peoples work
- Give credit where credit is due
- Thank commenters and people who share your work
- Dont just talk about yourself Focus on your audience and building community
32. Writing Tips
- Plan ahead. Create a calendar to stay on schedule
- Keep a list of evergreen topics handy fordays when you have writers block
- Ask readers/followers what topics theyre interested in
- Posts can include photos and video.
- Invite guest posters on your own site
33. questions? 34. Heather Whaling @prTini www.GebenCommunication.com www.prTini.com [email_address] subscribe to my blog:bit.ly/prTini connect on Facebook: www.facebook.com/GebenCommunication Collaboration. Integration. Social Good.