Scaling the Content Audit: ConfabMN 2014
How to scale content audits to map your ecosystem. Methods for quantitative, qualitative, and competitive analysis. This is intended as an introduction and work of inspiration, if you have questions about details involved in research please contact me via Twitter at @meaningmeasure. Let's get a lot of people to help provide answers that benefit all of us :)
- Scaling the Content Audit: Methods for Exploring Your Content Ecosystem Misty Weaver | #ConfabMN JS Bracher
- Misty Weaver JS Bracher
- Misty DAWN Weaver JS racher JS Bracher @content_insight | @meaningmeasure #ConfabMN #ConAudit #Chunkthatblob
- Content audits are a tool and a process for making informed decisions in strategy and design http://www.flickr.com/groups/explainia/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/murdocke/ Murray Thompson
- Your range Methods for Exploring M. Lounsbery
- Ecosystem Content Is Alive Eckhard Jakob
- Content Audiences InfluencersCompetition Business Content Ecosystem
- Whats Your Context? JS Bracher
- 3 Dimensions of Scale drbob http://bit.ly/SzEoeT
- we MEASURE Ronnieb http://bit.ly/1irO8g4
- we SIZE Jeltovski http://bit.ly/1j37rMs
- we CONQUER JS Bracher
- So Why arent we doing a content audit?
- why ARE we doing a content audit?
- Match scale with context Have a destination orientation
- Before you start Why before what. What before how. -@abby_the_IA
- What you need to know How much time do you have? How much money? How many people? Can those people stare at spreadsheets for days?
- Really, before you start http://www.morguefile.com/creative/godidwlr
- 1. Quantitative Inventory
- Content without an inventory is like a library without a catalog
- Content inventory: map your assets
- Know where you are and see where youre going Refresh Redesign Migration Care and Feeding Find quick fixes Orphans Duplicates URL structures Basic Hierarchy Missing data
- Scale it http://www.morguefile.com/creative/jeltovski
- Robots are our friends http://content-insight.com/
- Can an intern do it?
- Can an intern do it?What does intern mean to you?
- Level up with a technical audit Mightyohm http://bit.ly/1oqhQau
- Audits help you improve what you have and how you will improve everything to come
- Content models, page tables, templates, checklist and editorial calendars
- Scale it Earl53 http://bit.ly/1imcigj
- Can an intern do it? Be very clear about what you want to collect and catalog and WHY
- Social http://bit.ly/1jA19J8
- Social Audits: From dead to connect
- Create pathways, build relationships JS Bracher
- Scale it Jeltovski http://bit.ly/1j37rMs
- Can an intern do it? Make sure they understand the platforms, evaluative needs, and outcomes.
- You are not alone Competitive & Comparative Audits FidlerJan http://bit.ly/1oqkD3g
- When do you need a competitive audit?
- Mind the Gap Benchmarks Differentiators Audience Insights Potential Partners
- Scale it
- Can an intern do it?
- 3. Qualitative Audit http://bit.ly/Rr4yiH
- Define quality Business Goals Audience Needs and Tasks Systems and Constraints
- You CAN do too much calls to action, links, duplicate content, headings, subheadings, titles, captions, consistent use of terms, publish date, author, event date, location, price, sequence or series, speaker or teacher, image metadata, use of Keywords, jargon, overall readability, scroll length, break points, load time accessibility, seo, shareability Can a person complete a task based on content provided? Is the content, function accurate?
- We all have journeys JS Bracher
- We all have tasks Amanda L. Goodman @godaisies
- It is so scalable JS Bracher
- Can an intern do it? Then so can you!
- Call it an audit
- THAN DO A CONTENT AUDIT http://bit.ly/1e84opR Time for a reframe
- Your mountain is waiting
- Thank you, Ive been @meaningmeasure
- Ready to Audit Resources Sample Course Syllabus http://www.meaningandmeasure.com/content- strategy-syllabus/#reads Kevin P Nichols Inventory and Audit template http://www.kevinpnichols.com/2012/10/kevin_p_nichols_1.html How to Conduct a Content Audit by Donna Maurer http://uxmastery.com/how-to-conduct-a-content-audit/ Content Knowledge is Power by Sara Wachter-Boettcher http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2013/04/29/content-knowledge-is- power/ Content Insight: The Qualitative Audit http://content-insight.com/resources/content-inventory-and-audit- articles/qualitative-content-audit/ Building the Mother of All Content Inventories by Sue Davis http://blogs.ec.europa.eu/waltzing_matilda/building-the-mother-of-all- content-inventories/