- Sketching Sketching: Outlines of a Collaborative Design Method
Sketching Sketching: Outlines of a Collaborative Design Method
Some thoughts on using sketching for visualization design. Presented at the BCS-HCI 2009 conference.
- 1. Sketching Sketching
Dr Brock Craft and Dr Paul Cairns
- Outlines of a Collaborative Design Method
- 8. Sidney Harris
- 9. Schtze et al., 2003 Springer
- 10. Sketching as Design Thinking
- 11. Four ambiguous sketches (Tversky et al.)
- 13. Action Research Method (Checkland, Baskerville) Grounded Theory Analysis (Strauss & Corbin) Beacon Project (UCL CoMPLEX)
- 15. J (mathematician): I was thinking of it mainly algorithmically. And I was thinking of it in terms of the maths that you would need to do to wrap the calcium interface into the [Waveform Relaxation] interface. And then when you made me write it down, I was forced to draw it like this. And this idea would never have come to me, if you hadnt made me do that.
- 21. Buxton (2006), adapted from Laseau (1980)
- Enhances design problem solving by:
- supporting design process (e.g., low cost),
- enhancing collaboration/communication.
- Sketching also enhances creativity by:
- supporting short- and long-term memory,
- supporting lateral thinking,
- enabling cycles of generation and (re)interpretation.
- 23. Communication & Collaboration, Creativity
- 25. Dr Brock Craft London Knowledge Lab 23-29 Emerald Street, London WC1N 3QS, UK +44 (0)20 7763 2137 [email_address] Dr Paul Cairns University of York Heslington, York, YO10 5DD, UK +44 (0) 1904 434751 [email_address] Thank you!