UX and Semantic web UXCamp London 2014
Designing for Semantic Web
- ! Nurgul Karadeniz Interaction Designer - Ustwo UX Camp London 2014 UX AND SEMANTIC WEB @nurdeniz @ustwo
- AGENDA Punk Big & Bold Beautifully Clean About Semantic Web Semantic Web and UX Semantic Web Project Now and Next
- WHAT IS SEMANTIC WEB?
- An extension of the current Web that provides an easier way to nd, share, reuse and combine information more easily. ! ! Transforms web of document into web of data Gives data well dened meaning Enables users, computers and devices to work in cooperation
- Program Pages BioNews CURRENT WEB SEMANTIC WEB
- USERS I know exactly the penguin resource I need, I just want to find it again. Known Known OR I need something about Penguins. Known Unknown OR I need something about those funny tuxedo birds... What are they called again? Unknown Known I have absolutely no idea what I need. OR Unknown Unknown
- CURRENT WEB SEMANTIC WEB
- SEMANTIC WEB THINGS AND RELATIONS
- MORE RELATIONS
- USERS AND WEB ! Punk Big & Bold Beautifully Clean Search Results Page Browsing Auto curated pages Recommendation More Links
- SEMANTIC WEB UX PROCESS Discovery User Research Interaction Design Visual Design Usability Evaluation Linked Data Ontology RDF FOAF Development
- CASE STUDY
- BBC Project ! People Places AND Events Things
- People Places AND Events Things
- People Events Things Places Related Events Related People Related Things Related Places People Places AND Events Things
- ! Understanding Relationships Christmas day Charlie Chaplin died Christmas - Religion Level of information needed Project Boundaries ChallengesPeople Places AND Events Things
- ! Dened Relationships Linked Data Ontologies & RDF Development ResultsPeople Places AND Events Things
- UX AND SEMANTIC WEB Learnings Semantic web technology offers methodologies that help information to be more structured and easy to discover. ! In more UX terms, it supports ongoing user journeys, provides seamless interactions across different domains.
- CONSPROS Level of information required at concept phase ! Concepting for different users e.g. cultural stereotype ! Extensive IA and Analysis required to spot edge cases ! Cost Easy to discover content ! Guided navigation* ! Presents structured information ! Multiple ways of accessing information ! Opportunity to crete intelligent service
- CURRENT USE WEB GIANTS AND SOME FIRMS
- FUTURE USE ! ! CLIENTS AND AGENCIES ! Decision support applications Personalised insurance policy Healthcare Smarter Patient - Doctor/Hospital allocation Advanced recommendation Flight Tickets shows rainfall on your arrival Better searching and ltering Go on holiday to the safest destination !
- Improve Services ! ! CURRENT AND FUTURE Show me only rooms with mountain view and close to Turin station.
- Improve Services ! ! SMART SEARCH I want to cook something that easy to digest. I am looking for ingredients
- Improve Services ! ! ONLINE MORTGAGE ASSESSMENT I am getting mortgage from Lloyds what rate would Barclays offer me?
- MY VISION ! ! WEB OF THINGS AND USERS ! Improves Web and Experiences More online service design Auto curated web pages Better personalization Changes web infrastructure Improves communication between computers, connected devices and users. ! !
- UX AND SEMANTIC WEB ! by @nurdeniz @Ustwo Punk Big & Bold Beautifully Clean References Article: Too much information? Improving user experience of semantic web http://www.publishingtechnology.com/ 2011/03/user-experience-semantic-web/ Bing vs. Google - http://www.entrepreneur.com/blog/224639 Duane Degler - Design for Semantic Web, Design for Context www.designforsemanticweb.com/ Crowdsourcing, citizen sensing and sensor web technologies for public. http://link.springer.com/article/ 10.1186%2F1476-072X-10-67/fulltext.html#Fig11_459 Facebook Graph Search - https://www.facebook.com/about/graphsearch Faceted Semantic Search - Massimiliano Dal Mas http://arxiv.org/pdf/1202.6685.pdf Find out about Semantic Web in simple terms - http://luca.wordpress.com/2008/02/03/semantic-web-for- dummies/ Frankfurt Show Daily Article: The future of content delivery in publishing http://www.publishingtechnology.com/ 2012/10/the-future-of-content-delivery-in-publishing/ How a Facebook Search Engine Could Change the Way People Find Your Business http://www.entrepreneur.com/ blog/224452 Lee Feigenbaum (May 1, 2007). "The Semantic Web in Action". Scientic American. Retrieved February 24, 2010 Linked data and the semantic web - http://www.bbc.co.uk/academy/technology/article/art20130724121658626 Link Data Platforms - http://www.w3.org/2012/ldp/wiki/Main_Page Music Datasheet - Automatic Interlinking of Music Datasets on the Semantic Web Yves Raimond, Christopher Sutton and Mark Sandler (http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.123.9753&rep=rep1&type=pdf) Next-Generation Wikis: What Users Expect; How RDF Helps- Axel Rauschmayer Semantic Web Handbook - Pascal Hitzler Krzysztof Janowicz http://knoesis.wright.edu/pascal/pub/crc- handbook-13.pdf The Semantic Web: Research and Applications - Springer Link http://link.springer.com/book/ 10.1007/978-3-642-13486-9 The Friend of a Friend (FOAF) project - hhttp://www.foaf-project.org The NoTube Project, http://notube.tv (retrieved on January 31st, 2012) The NoTube Use Case Personalised News, http://notube.tv/showcases/personalised-news/ (retrieved on January 31st, 2012)