© Copyright, IAU, World Higher Education Database (WHED)

  • Published on

  • View

  • Download


Copyright, IAU, World Higher Education Database (WHED)Sweden - Education systemINSTITUTION TYPES & CREDENTIALSTypes of higher education institutions: Universitet (University) Hgskola (University College)School leaving and higher education credentials: Slutbetyg Frn Gymnasieskola Kvalificerad yrkesexamen Hgskoleexamen Yrkesexamen (Undergraduate) Kandidatexamen Magisterexamen med mnesdjup Magisterexamen med mnesbredd Yrkesexamen (Postgraduate) Licentiatexamen DoktorsexamenSTRUCTURE OF EDUCATION SYSTEMPre-higher education: Duration of compulsory education: Age of entry: 7 Age of exit: 16 Structure of school system: Basic Type of school providing this education: Grundskola Length of program in years: 9 Age level from: 7 to: 16 Certificate/diploma awarded: Slutbetyg Frn Grundskola Upper Secondary Type of school providing this education: Gymnasium Length of program in years: 3Age level from: 16 to: 19 Certificate/diploma awarded: Slutbetyg Frn Gymnasieskola Upper Secondary Type of school providing this education: Folkhgskola (Folk high school) Certificate/diploma awarded: Intyg om allmn behrighet (certificate concerning general eligibility for higher education) or "Intyg om srskild behrighet" (certificate concerning specific eligibility) Upper Secondary Type of school providing this education: Municipal adult school (Komvux) Certificate/diploma awarded: Slutbetyg Frn Komvux School education: The Swedish state school system comprises compulsory school and various types of voluntary schooling. Compulsory school includes nine years of compulsory basic school, school for the Saami people of Northern Sweden, special school and compulsory school for the mentally handicapped. Post-compulsory education is offered through 17 National Programmes providing qualifications that allow students to go on to higher education. Some of these programmes also include industrial work placements. The National Programmes of upper secondary education are offered at Gymnasia and lead to the award of the Slutbetyg Frn Gymnasieskola.Tuition is free.Outside the upper secondary school system there are folk high schools (Folkhgskolan) which provide state-supported adult education lasting between one and three years of studies. There are no formal examinations. Post-secondary studies include advanced vocational training (Kvalificerad yrkesutbilding) which is intended to meet the labour market's needs for the skills required for modern production of goods and services. About one-third of the course period takes place at the workplace. As from January 2002, this form of training is a permanent part of the Swedish educational system but does not belong to the higher education sector. Admission is based on three-year upper secondary education or corresponding proficiency. The training is normally intended to correspond to two years of study and leads to a Certificate of Advanced Vocational Training (Kvalificerad yrkesexamen). Higher education: The Swedish system includes not only traditional university studies, but also Teacher Training, Health Care Training, Technical Training, etc. It is the responsibility of: the central government, regional authorities and private interests. All higher education institutions fall under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Education except for the University of Agricultural Sciences (Ministry of Agriculture). Higher education is divided into undergraduate studies (courses combined towards a first degree) and postgraduate studies and research. Main laws/decrees governing higher education: Decree: Frordning fr Sveriges Lantbruksuniversitet SFS 1993:221 Year: 1993 Concerns: Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences Decree: Frordning om tillstnd att utfrda vissa examina SFS 1993:956 Year: 1993 Decree: Government bill on the degree system Year: 2004 Decree: Hgskolefrordningen SFS 1993:100 (Higher Education Ordinance) (http://utbildning.regeringen.se/inenglish/pdf/heo_jan03.pdf Year: 1993 Concerns: the whole higher education system Decree: Hgskolelagen SFS 1992:1424 (Higher Education Act) http://utbildning.regeringen.se/inenglish/pdf/higher_education_act.pdf Year: 1993 Concerns: the whole higher education systemDecree: Lag om kvalificerad yrkesutbildning (SFS 2001:239) Year: 2001 Concerns: Advanced Vocational Training Decree: Lag om tillstnd att utfrda vissa examina SFS 1993:792 Year: 1993 Concerns: Private higher education Academic year: Classes from: Aug to: Jun Long vacation from: 15 Jun to: 15 Aug Languages of instruction: Swedish, English Stages of studies: University level studies: University level first stage: Undergraduate studies: All basic higher education is offered in the form of courses. There is scope for individual choice but students may combine different courses into a degree programme. Study programmes are divided into credits. One credit corresponds to one week of full-time study. One year usually represents 40 credits. The Diploma (Hgskoleexamen) is awarded after the completion of at least 80 credits (two years' full-time study). It is awarded by all universities and higher education institutions. The Bachelor's Degree (Kandidatexamen) is conferred after the completion of at least 120 credits (three years' full-time study). In the major subject, in-depth studies of at least 60 credits (three terms) are required, including an independent special project of at least 10 credits. Since 1 November 2001 there are two types of Magistersexamen (Master of): 1)The Magisterexamen med mnesdjup is awarded after the completion of at least 160 credits (four years' full-time study). In the major subject, in-depth studies of at least 80 credits (four terms) are required, including an independent special project of at least 20 credits or two projects of at least 10 credits each. 2) The Magisterexamen med mnesbredd requires at least 40 credits including an independent special project of at least 10 credits. The Magisterexamen med mnesbredd is awarded in addition to a degree of at least 120 points. Apart from the general academic degrees, there are some 60 professional degrees (Yrkesexamen) which vary in length between 40 and 220 points, depending on their character and field of study. They include the degrees of Doctor of Medicine, Master of Science in Engineering or in Agriculture, as well as the Bachelor of Education for the Compulsory School. University level second stage: Postgraduate studies: The Licentiatexamen (Licenciate degree) requires 80 points (two years of study and research) including a larger thesis, after completion of at least 120 points at undergraduate level. This degree can also be awarded as an intermediate degree towards the Doktorsexamen. which requires a minimum of four years' full-time study beyond completion of at least 120 points at the undergraduate level. Doctoral studies consist of seminars, reading and methodology courses, individual literature surveys and independent research. The thesis must describe and account for organization and results of research, be published and be publicly defended. Teacher education: Training of pre-primary and primary/basic school teachers A new teacher training programme was introduced on July 1 2001. It includes a 60-credit course in pedagogics, special education and teaching practice that is common to all students. There is, in principle, only one teaching degree (lrarexamen) for the public school but with different specializations in terms of age groups, subject areas or other competences. The length of study for pre-school teachers and teachers at lower grades of primary/basic school is at least 140 credits. According to provisional regulations, students who started studying in teacher training programmes (to become e.g. grundskollrare) before July 1 2001 have the right to be awarded a degree according to the previous regulations until the end of June 2008.Training of secondary school teachers Teacher training for upper secondary schools (Gymnasielrarutbildning) is based on a combination of subjects within often one and the same field, e.g. Mathematics-Natural Sciences, Languages, Humanities. A total of 180-200/220 credits including pedagogical training is required. These subjects are studied up to a level of 60 or 80 credits. Instead of this integrated model for teacher training, it is also possible to follow a consecutive route. In this case, the subjects are studied first at the university followed by a 60 credit education course (Kompletterande-Pedagogisk Utbildning, including pedagogics, teaching methods and teaching practice) at a teacher training institute/faculty. Non-traditional studies: Distance higher education IT-supported higher education distance courses are offered by various higher education institutions in Sweden. Lifelong higher education Folk high schools: each school determines its own curriculum within the framework of the Folk High School Code. Some courses can qualify students for university studies. Studies focus on topic areas rather than on single subjects. Other forms are correspondence schools and courses organised by the broadcasting media. Formal adult education ("komvux"), both general and vocational, is offered by the local education committees in all municipalities and in certain educational fields (e.g. the health sector) by county councils. Universities have comprehensive programmes for further education, including commissioned education, part-time and evening courses, as well as summer courses. Higher education training in industry Industry cooperates with universities/university colleges and vice-versa for industrial needs and also for the needs of the labour market.NATIONAL BODIESAdministration & co-ordination: Responsible authorities: Utbildnings - och kulturdepartementet (Ministry of Education, Research and Culture) Head: Leif Pagrotsky, Minister Drottninggatan 16 SE-103 33 Stockholm Sweden Tel: +46(8) 4051000 Fax: +46(8) 7231192 EMail: registrator@educult.ministry.se WWW: http://www.sweden.gov.se/sb/d/2063 Role of governing body: Overall development and planning of all higher education and research, supervision. Hgskoleverket (National Agency for Higher Education) Head: Sigbrit Franke, Chairman PO Box 7851 Luntmakargatan 13 SE-103 99 StockholmSweden Tel: +46(8) 56308500 Fax: +46(8) 56308550 EMail: Hsv@hsv.se WWW: http://www.hsv.se Role of governing body: Evaluation and analyses of higher education, quality issues, information, international issues (including mobility and recognition). Sveriges universitets-och hgskolefrbund (Association of Swedish Higher Education) Head: Bo Sundqvist, Chairperson Administrative officer: Bengt Karlsson, Secretary-General Rdmansgatan 72 SE-113 60 Stockholm Sweden Tel: +46(8) 321388 Fax: +46(8) 329370 WWW: http://www.suhf.se Myndigheten fr Sveriges Ntuniversitet (The Swedish Net University Agency) PO Box 194 SE-871 24 Hrnsand Sweden Tel: +46 611349500 EMail: info@netuniversity.se WWW: http://www.netuniversity.se Role of governing body: Information, marketing, coordination, development of IT supported distance education. Myndigheten fr kvalificerad yrkesutbildning (Swedish Agency for Advanced Vocational Education) Head: Sonja Eriksson Jrnvgsgatan 3 281 31 Hssleholm Sweden Tel: +46 45145480 Fax: +46 45145499 EMail: ky@ky.se WWW: http://www.ky.se Role of governing body: Central administrative authority for advanced vocational training. Skolverket (Swedish National Agency for Education) Head: Per Thullberg Alstrmergatan 12 SE-106 20 Stockholm Sweden Tel: +48(8) 52733200 EMail: Skolverket@skolverket.se WWW: http://www.skolverket.seRole of governing body: Central administrative authority for the Swedish Public School System Svenska Institutet (Swedish Institute) Head: Per Wstberg, Director-General PO Box 7434 Skeppsbron 2 SE-103 91 Stockholm Sweden Tel: +46(8) 4537800 Fax: +46(8) 207248 EMail: si@si.se WWW: http://www.si.se Information Service on Folk High School PO Box 740 SE-101 35 Stockholm Sweden Tel: +46(8) 7960050 Fax: +46(8) 218826 EMail: info@folkhogskola.nu WWW: http://www.folkhogskola.nu Department for Research Cooperation (SAREC), Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA) Head: Berit Olsson, Director Sveavgen 20 SE-105 25 Stockholm Sweden Tel: +46(8) 6985314 Fax: +46(8) 6985656 EMail: berit.olsson@sida.se WWW: http://www.sida.seADMISSIONS TO HIGHER EDUCATIONAdmission to university-level studies Name of secondary school credential required: Slutbetyg Frn Gymnasieskola Minimum score/requirement: 90% of credit hours must be passed with mark G or higher Alternatives to credentials: Slutbetyg frn Komvux (adult education), Intyg om allmn behrighet frn folkhgskola (Folk High School) or a foreign secondary school leaving certificate equivalent to Slutbetyg Frn Gymnasieskola and giving access to higher education in the country of origin. 25 years old, 4 years' work experience, knowledge of Swedish and English. Entrance exams required: no Numerus clausus/restrictions: Yes Other admission requirements: For most courses there are additional specific entrancerequirements expressed in terms of courses at secondary school level. Work experience is required for some programmes. Auditions and proven artistic ability for most of the arts programmes.The deadline for applications to higher education starting in autumn is April 15. Foreign students admission Admission requirements: All foreign students should apply directly to the universities and university colleges for courses and programmes. Foreign student counsellors and the admission offices can provide the necessary information and forms. The application procedure may vary depending on the applicant's status, nationality and knowledge of Swedish. Forms and deadlines for course applications and programmes applications may also differ. For further information see: http://www.studyinsweden.se Recognition of studies & qualifications: Studies pursued in home country (System of recognition/accreditation): The Government decides which degrees are awarded by the higher education system. The requirements, orientation and objectives of the degrees are stipulated in a special degree ordinance. With respect to undergraduate education, degrees are divided into general academic and professional degrees.The National Agency for Higher Education decides about the right of specific institutions to award certain degrees and evaluates the quality of all programmes and subjects. Studies pursued in foreign countries (bodies dealing with recognition of foreign credentials): NARIC/ENIC (Hgskoleverket) Head: Lars Petersson, Director Luntmakargatan 13 P.O. Box 7851 SE-103 99 Stockholm Sweden Tel: +46(8) 56308500 Fax: +46(8) 56308650 EMail: naric-enic@hsv.se WWW: http://www.hsv.se Deals with credential recognition for entry to: University and Profession Services provided & students dealt with: Evaluates foreign degrees/diplomas, deals with foreign credential recognition for professional purposes, recognizes foreign teacher qualifications as the competent authority for the teacher profession and gives advice to HEI concerning academic recognition. Individual application accepted for residents in Sweden and/or citizens of EU Member States. National Admissions Office to Higher Education (Verket fr Hgskoleservice) P.O. Box 24070 Karlavgen 108 SE-104 50 Stockholm Sweden Tel: +46(8) 54551540 EMail: info@vhs.se WWW: http://www.vhs.se Services provided & students dealt with: Deals with foreign credential for admission to higher education (for residents in Sweden) The National Board of Health and Welfare (Socialstyrelsen) Head: Kjell Asplund, Director-General SE-106 30 Stockholm SwedenTel: +46(8) 55553000 Fax: +46(8) 55553420 EMail: socialstyrelsen@socialstyrelsen.se WWW: http://www.sos.se Deals with credential recognition for entry to: Profession Services provided & students dealt with: Recognition to be registered as doctor, midwife, chiropractor, speech therapist, psychologist, psychotherapist, physiotherapist, dentist, nurse, optician, pharmaceutics, occupational therapist, hearing disorder assistant, biomedical analyst, dietician, orthopedic engineer, X-ray nurse, hospital physicist Other information sources on recognition of foreign studies: The Swedish Board of Agriculture for studies in veterinary medicine. http://www.jordbruksverket.se. Information on other competent authorities: http://english.hsv.se/foreign/regulated/ Special provisions for recognition: For access to university level studies: Established by higher education institutions and Verket fr Hgskolservice (VHS). For recognition of periods of studies: Higher education ordinance, chapter 6 12-13. For access to advanced studies and research: Established by higher education institutions Multilateral agreements concerning recognition of foreign studies Name of agreement: Council of Europe Convention/European Agreement on Continued Payment of Scholarships to Students Studying Abroad Year of signature: 1969 Name of agreement: Council of Europe Convention/Recognition of Qualifications Concerning Higher Education in the European Region Year of signature: 2001 Name of agreement: Nordic Declaration/Recognition of Qualifications Concerning Higher Education (Reykjavik Declaration) Year of signature: 2004 References to further information on foreign student admissions and recognition of studies Title: Study in Sweden. A guide for foreign students (http://www.studyinsweden.se) Author: The Swedish InstituteSTUDENT LIFENational student associations and unions Sveriges Frenade Studentkrer (SFS) Wollmar Yxkullsgatan 16 S-112 34 Stockholm Sweden Tel: +46(8) 54570100 Fax: +46(8) 54570110 EMail: sfs@sfs.se WWW: http://www.sfs.seHealth/social provisions Social security for home students: Yes Social security for foreign students: Yes Foreign student social security provisions: Students from Scandinavian countries: same benefits as Swedish citizens; EU citizens must fill in form E111. All students staying more than one year may benefit from reduced costs for medical care. Special student travel fares: By road: Yes By rail: Yes By air: Yes Available to foreign students: Yes Student expenses and financial aid Student costs: Average living costs: 6300 (Swedish Krone) Home students tuition fees: Minimum: 150 (Swedish Krone) Maximum: 500 (Swedish Krone) Foreign students tuition fees: Minimum: 350 (Swedish Krone) Maximum: 500 (Swedish Krone) Type of financial aid available: Scholarships/grants/fellowships: Higher vocational/technical studies: Home: Yes Foreign: No First Degree studies: Home: Yes Foreign: Yes Advanced/doctoral studies: Home: Yes Foreign: Yes Loans: Higher vocational/technical studies: Home: Yes Foreign: No First degree studies: Home: Yes Foreign: No Advanced/doctoral studies: Home: Yes Foreign: No Bodies providing information on student financial aid: Centrala Studiestdsnmnden SE 851 82 Sundsvall Sweden Tel: +46(0) 60186000 Fax: +46(0) 60186193 EMail: csn@csn.se WWW: http://www.csn.se Deals with: Loans Category of students: For Swedish citizens only.The Swedish Institute P.O. Box 7434 Skeppsbron 2 SE-103 91 Stockholm Sweden Tel: +46(8) 4537800 Fax: +46(8) 207248 EMail: si@si.se WWW: http://www.si.se Deals with: Grants Category of students: All university levels, all nationalities. Publications on student services and financial aid: Title: Scholarships for Study and Research in Sweden Author: The Swedish InstituteINTERNATIONAL COOPERATION & EXCHANGESPrincipal national bodies responsible for dealing with international cooperation and exchanges in higher education: International Programme Office Head: Ulf Melin, Director-General Kungsbroplan 3A P.O. Box 22007 SE-104 22 Stockholm Sweden Tel: +46(8) 4537200 Fax: +46(8) 4537201 EMail: info@programkontoret.se WWW: http://www.programkontoret.se The Swedish Institute (Svenska Institut) Head: Per Wstberg, Director-General P.O. Box 7434 Skeppsbron 2 SE-103 91 Stockholm Sweden Tel: +46(8) 7892000 Fax: +46(8) 207248 EMail: si@si.se WWW: http://www.si.se Participation of country in multilateral or bilateral higher education programmes Name of exchange programme: ALFA Name of exchange programme: ASEM DUO Name of exchange programme: Comenius Name of exchange programme: LEONARDO Name of exchange programme: Linneus-Palme (with developing countries) Name of exchange programme: NORDPLUSName of exchange programme: SOCRATES Name of exchange programme: TEMPUSGRADING SYSTEMUsual grading system in secondary school Full Description: IG:Icke Godknd (fail), G:Godknd (pass), VG:Vl Godknd (pass with distinction) and MVG: Mycket Vl Godknd (pass with high distinction). Highest on scale: Mycket Vl Godknd Pass/fail level: Godknd Lowest on scale: Icke Godknd Main grading system used by higher education institutions Full Description: Vl Godknd (distinction). Godknd (pass). Underknd (fail) Highest on scale: VG Vl Godknd (distinction) Pass/fail level: G Godknd (pass) Lowest on scale: U Underknd (fail) Other main grading systems For some programmes only pass level (Godknd) is used. For programmes in Engineering the 3-5 scale is used where 5 is highest on the scale and 3 is pass level. In Law, the scale B-BAAB is used where AB is highest and B is pass level.NOTES ON HIGHER EDUCATION SYSTEMData for academic year: 2005-2006 Source: IAU from Hgskoleverket/National Agency for Higher Education, Stockholm, December 2005 Note on Higher Education Institutions: Some institutions awarding postgraduate degrees are listed in the 'Other Institutions' section because they are entitled, at national level, to award undergraduate degrees only.


View more >