ISSUE #5news l e t t e r
8 a day at newport mills7 bad dawg sausagespartners with wingking to create new gourmet dawgs3 cb chicken farmscertified SAFE
munroe collegestudents visit CB
a day in the lifeof paula plummer
chippenham eggs:hash-brown eggs
10 rules for properbusiness meeting etiquette
It is so easy to talk about all the good things happening in our Group, surely this E-zine will be filled with stories that make all of us proud to be a part of this organization. Our efforts in the SAFE FOOD movement, the on-going foray into other Caribbean territories, the high standard of our products and the efforts to be more efficient every year are being recognized and envied by many.
A strong and healthy company relies on strong and healthy people as leaders, managers and team-members. It is good to see that across this great Group we see activities that recognize, improve and promote the importance of being fit and well balanced.
The CB/UWI 5K run and walk is a very visible example, but there are activities less obvious all over the place(Group). Several times per week a large room at the Head-office is filled with hard working, exercising bodies; every evening several persons walk and run around the football field at Newport Mills. Football
competitions are a feature at some of our locations, cricket, netball dominoes should follow suit soon.
The title of my welcome is the beginning of a 2000 year-old poem, making a strong connection between a healthy mind and a healthy body. Never under-estimate the importance of a healthy mind. Not only educate and sharpen it, but also ensure you relax it as often as you can. Enjoy time with your family and friends, dont skip the fun because you are busy. Get yourself a hobby, be a member of a service-club or do volunteer work. Learn a new language, sing, dance, or have fun on the sidelines. Laugh until youre tired and enjoy life with those that are dear to you.
A sound mind in a healthy body is my wish for all of you!
~ Hans MullerDivisional Manager, Feed | Newport Mills
Weve introduced our eco-friendly tray-less tray packs to more supermarkets including Sovereign Supermarket, Loshusan, Lees Food Fair, Empire Ligunea and Hi-Lo Food Stores. So look out for in-store demos to educate our consumers about all the benefits that you too can enjoy!
Fresher Chicken Longer Shelf Life Environmentally Friendly Easy to Open Easy to Handle
CB Chickens Eco Friendly Packaging Hits Supermarket Shelves
3around the brand in 30 days cb chicken
Summer is almost here. Ladies and Gents, get your Summer Body NOW!A balanced diet is important for weight loss. Integrate our Caribbean Passion products to get in gear.
Here are two great options:1. Try Not to Fry For breakfast when you are on the go its often very easy to just fry something but frying is an easy way to halt your health efforts. The advantage of using Caribbean Passion hams and sausages is that theres no need to cook them as they are already fully cooked. Simply reheat and add your sauce, thats really all it takes! Having a protein packed breakfast is a great way to get your metabolism up and for you to stay full until your next meal.
2. Try Something NewDo you get stuck in a rut with the same meals for dinner during the week? Try a pasta dish and experiment with different toppings: jerk chicken sausage, pepperoni and italian are all good choices. A simple teaspoon of plain yogurt and parsley makes the simplest pasta dish creamy and ready to eat without the usual heaviness and fat of a store bought cream.
4around the brand in 30 days caribbean passion
GET THAT Summer Body
5around the brand in 30 days copperwood pork
The Copperwood Team were invited to sample Spur Trees line of products with our very own Copperwood Pork products before they hit the supermarket shelves. Their new range of products vary from Pepper Jelly to their new Reggae Table Sauce.
Using our fresh cut Copperword Pork, they showcased how Spurtree spices can be used to create mouth-watering pork dishes. The sauces are a complete spice, no need for additional seasoning. Featured were Curry Pork, Stew Pork and Jerk Pork.
+A DELECTABLE PAIRING!
Look out for our new Jerk Sausages that will be pre-seasoned with Spur Trees Jerk Sauce!
6around the brand in 30 days smart eggs
Wins Smart Selfie Competition
Chippenham Eggsare GOOD For You!
Yanique Davis was selected as the winner of the Smart Selfie competition that was hosted on Facebook. She recently met up with us and the Express Fitness representative to collect her 2-month gym membership.
Chippenham has launched its new Good campaign. Look out for our new billboard at Tawes Pen, Spanish Town and our Branded truck.
around the brand in 30 days bad dawg 7
Its Official!Weve partnered with WingKing Gourmet Wings to offer an even bigga, betta, badda Bad Dawg to our customers.
Through this new venture, all our Bad Dawg lovers can now add unique toppings to their dawgs. Popular choices include pineapple chunks and jalapeno peppers, or Gourmet Dawgs featuring Chilli and Cheese or Pineapple coleslaw! Owner of WIngking, Christopher Morgan is extremely excited about the partnership. Wingking has been good for so long, we decided to switch things up and be bad. We have diversified our menu and added the baddest sausage on the market, dressed up with deluxe toppings and gourmet sauces, Wingking style. Bad Dawg is doing BAD things. Go out and support! WingKing is now serving a delicious winning combination.
WingKing is located at Oakland Plaza, Kingston 8.
WingKing Goes Bad!
8around the brand in 30 days a day at newport mills
For the past eight years we have been providing
classes for our staff in the areas of Mathematics,
English and Life Sciences.
We were the first company in the group to be Certified SAFE
under ISO-9001, HACCP & GMP.
The NUTRAMIX tag line, the BIG feed, comes
from the late 80s when the Government required
that we no longer measure our feed in pounds but rather under the metric system. Our bags were now being sold at a weight of 25kg, whereas our competitors at the time had bags weighing 20kg. Our customers would refer to our bags as the big
feed and it stuck with us.
We have a sports field as well as a mini farm where staff members
plant yam, banana and other produce.
9around the brand in 30 days a day at newport mills
in OurCreating BondsCommunities10
our community munroe college visits CB 11
Munro College is a prominent boarding school for boys in St Elizabeth, Jamaica. It was founded in 1856 as the Potsdam School (named for the city of Potsdam) a free school for poor boys in St. Elizabeth as stipulated in the will of plantation owners Robert Hugh Munro and Caleb Dickenson.
It was renamed Munro College during World War I as part of the general rejection of German names at the time, though the surrounding Potsdam district was not also renamed. It is now the only boarding school for boys in Jamaica.
For more than 150 years, Munro College has been a defining example of an all-boys school which now includes female students as a part of an expanded sixth form programme.
Over the years Munro College has distinguished itself as a centre for excellence in secondary education in Jamaica and the Eastern Caribbean. It is reputed to have produced the most Rhode Scholars of any secondary school in the Caribbean. The most recent Rhodes Scholar is From Munro College. His name is Vincent Taylor.
Munroe College Students Visit CB
our community munroe college visits CB 12
A group of 45, 5th and 6th form students and 3 teachers of Munro College visited the CB Group for an educational tour on Thurs March 20.
The 5th formers toured NPM while the 6th formers enjoyed the processing facility at Arnold Road. Both groups were also treated to career talks in the areas of Finance & Accounts, Veterinarian Science and Quality Mgmt by CB Group employees.
In giving feedback the students were impressed at the facilities and were thankful of the hospitality extended to them.
- Staff Movements
- A Day in the Life Of
Carol ChristieCheryl Watt
Paisley EnidLester JohnsonAlexander Marsh
Clive MorrisKaydia Rowe
Althea BignottLynford DavisKaren Walters-ReivesFitzroy ParchmentDesmond Anglin
Paulette HollingsworthTushane Taylor
George GoodenDermaine Walker
Dalbert BarnettMichael DavisClaudette Wynter
Debbie PassmoreAverick Cooke
Hearty Congratulations to Lead Catcher,Howard McKenzie who welcomed his Baby Girl, Tanice Amoi McKenzieon February 5th 2014.
NOTE:In the cases of transfer, the position mentioned above is
the one to which the person was transferred to.
cb big ups birthdays & staff movements 14
cb big ups first aid workshop 15
CB hosted a first aid workshop.many thanks to all who came outto support this important initiative!
A DAY INTHE LIFE OFPaula Plummer
cb big ups a day in the life of Paula Plummer 16
Ive been with the CB Group for almost 30 years; I started working with the company in October 1985
I work at the Caribbean Hatchery as the Assistant to the Manager
The exemplary team players within the company that make youfeel like we are all one big family
1. How long have you been a member of the CB Group?
2. What section of the group are you in and what is your role?
3. What is the best part about working at CB?
17cb big ups a day in the life of Paula Plummer
A typical day for me starts at 8.30 am, checking my email first to see if there is anything that needs urgent attention, then I check with production to ensure that all the baby birds have been collected.
After this has been completed, I communicate with our broker or trucker to get an estimated time for eggs to arrive at the Hatchery in order to inform inspection personnel from the Vet lab. For the rest of the day I am usually preparing invoices for payment, creating purchase orders and going through my daily office routines.
4. Describe a typical day for you from the moment you arrive at work till when you leave.
(music, praying, snacking...) I Pray and listen to some good music
5. What gets you through a hectic work day?
6. What is your favourite CB product?
Newport Mills, you really get a chance to interact with the customers face to face andto hear how they feel about our products.
7. If you could be in another section of the group for a day, where would you go and why?
When a customer called to say he was on his way to pickup his flats and I confidently said yes, but when he got to the hatchery and I finally checked none were available.
8. What has been your most embarassing moment at work?
Pot Roast Pork with vegetables.
9. Name your favourite chicken/pork dish.
Chippenham Eggs Hash-Brown Eggs
DIRECTIONS- Fry 1 cup each chopped onion and grated potato in a cast-iron skillet with butter until crisp.
- Add 1/2 cup grated cheddar and crack in two Chippehnam Eggs.
- Bake at 425 degrees F until set.
- Top with salsa!
An egg-cellentway to startyour day!
recipe corner hash-brown eggs 19
CW Pork Vietnamese Style Grilled Lemongrass Pork
recipe corner meat lovers omelette 20
INGREDIENTS- 800g Pork Shoulder, sliced to about 1/2 inch thick pieces
INGREDIENTS (Marinade)6 cloves garlic, minced 2 pcs shallots, roughly chopped 2 stalk lemongrass (white part only) 1 tbsp dark soy sauce 1/4 cup fish sauce 3 tbsp oil freshly ground black pepper 1/2 cup honey
METHOD1. Place all marinade ingredients in a food processor except for the honey, process until it becomes a paste2. Place pork in a deep bowl and pour marinade mix, coat pork pieces evenly then cover your bowl. Marinate for 24 hours3. Remove 2 hours from fridge before cooking, then cook over charcoal barbecue for best results. On medium high heat grill each side for 3-4 minutes
4. Dip each pork pieces in honey and grill for 2 more minutes on side5. Serve while hot
Mousing Around Computer Tips:The Windows Logo key, is common on most keyboards that come with a
Windows-based personal computer these days. Here are a few keyboard
shortcuts that can be utilized with the Windows Logo key.
did you know? 21
Key Combination Action
Windows Logo key Open or close the Start menu.
Windows Logo key + M Minimize all windows.
Windows Logo key + L Lock your computer or switch users.
These are just a few keyboard shortcuts that can enhance your productivity, check back formore tips.
did you know? 22
1. Pork tenderloin cuts are almost as lean as skinless chicken breasts.
2. Modern regulations have ensured that pork continues to become as lean as possible.
3. Pork is 75 percent leaner today than it was in the 1950s.
4. Pork has more protein than chicken and is high in zinc, iron and B-vitamins.
5. Over a third of the fat in bacon is the same as the healthy fat found in olive oil, which is known to lower cholesterol levels.
6. At the global level, pork is by far the most widely consumed meat.
7. Pork is the most versatile meat. It can be marinated, roasted, grilled, skewered, dry rubbed, boiled, baked, barbecued, microwaved, pan-fried or stir-fried.
8. The word barbeque originated with French-speaking pirates who called their Caribbean pork feast de barbe et queue. It translates to from beard to tail, reflecting the versatility of the hog.
9. To keep your pork juicy and safe you need only cook it to 145 Fahrenheit, let it rest for three minutes and then serve it up.
1. ARRIVALArrive to the location of the business meeting at least 15 minutes early. This allows you to find a seat and get situated before the meeting starts.
2. AGENDAThe chairperson of the meeting should circulate a meeting agenda to each participant at least one week in advance. The agenda should also mention the meetings start and ending times as well.
3. BE PREPAREDEach participant should come to the meeting with all of the materials and data she will need and an understanding of the meeting topic.
4. BREAKSMeetings should have a break every two hours. Breaks should be 20 minutes long, and meal breaks should be 30 minutes long.
5. ATTIREThe chairperson should indicate what kind of attire is required for the meeting, either business casual or business formal, and participants should follow that rule.
6. SPEAKINGKeep the meeting organized by only speaking when you have the floor. Ask questions during the designated question period, and raise your hand to be recognized by the chairperson as having the floor. Do not interrupt someone while they are speaking or asking a question.
7. LISTENYou may find that many of the questions you have about a topic are answered by the content of the meeting. Listen attentively to the meeting and take notes.
8. NERVOUS HABITSAvoid nervous habits such as tapping a pen on the table, making audible noises with your mouth, rustling papers or tapping your feet on the floor.
9. CELL PHONES AND LAPTOPS Turn off your cell phone prior to the start of the meeting. If you are expecting an urgent call, then set your phone to vibrate and excuse yourself from the meeting if the call comes in. Unless laptop computers have been approved for the meeting, turn yours off and lower the screen so that you do not obstruct anyones view.
10. GUESTSDo not bring unannounced guests to a meeting. If you have someone you would like to bring to a meeting, then contact the chairperson for permission to bring your guest. If permission is not granted, then do not bring him.
10 Rules f or Pr operBusiness Meet ing Et iquette
by, George N. Root III, Demand MediaTID.BITS
tid bits 10 rules for proper business meeting etiquette 23
Adherence to the proper etiquette for a business meeting establishes respect among meeting participants, helps the meeting begin and end on time, and fosters an atmosphere of cooperation.
24mark your calendar 24
Labour Day is just around the corner and we want YOU to help us to choose our CB Group Labour Day Project for 2014.
There is incredible value in being of service to others. ~ Elizabeth Berg Author
Send in your communityactivity of choice by May 1, 2014 to:ourcbezine@gmail .com
FRIDAY, MAY 23,
2014labour day is coming
After months of feedback and your favourable input, weve found a name for our eZine.
Stay tuned for the next issue where well reveal how it came to be!
Now isnt that something to