- Michigan District Ramps Up Whiteboard Training
- Tassistro, E. (2010, August 3) Michigan district ramps up whiteboard training. Retrieved August 4, 2010 fromhttp://thejournal.com/articles/2010/08/03/michigan-district-ramps-up-whiteboard-training.aspx?sc_lang=en
- Why Teachers Love the SMARTboard
- Bell, M. (2002, January) Why use an interactive whiteboard?A bakers dozen reasons.Retrieved August 4, 2010 fromhttp://teachers.net/gazette/JAN02/mabell.html
- SMARTboards in Special Education
- Torreno, S. (2009, December 4) Using smartboards in special education classrooms. Retrieved August 4, 2010 fromhttp://www.brighthub.com/education/special/articles/55013.aspx
3. Whiteboard Training
- SMART board technology is becoming more and more prevalent in the classroom. The more technology that comes in to the schools, the more training we need to be able to keep up with the times. This article shares information about where teachers can find training for this emerging technology.
- Through the use of the Blossom technology, this school is providing their educators with the software needed in order for them to effectively use the SMARTboards.
- Click here to check out the training software.
4. Whiteboard Training Contd.
- This particular school is also incorporating more technology by putting ultra-compact camcorders for student-produced video, student response system pads, computer workstations, laser printers, and TV/VCRs into the hands of their students.
Return to Table of Contents 5. Reflection
- I liked that this school system is making a conscious effort to utilize the technology that is emerging and to utilize the teachers who are willing to learn how to teach better through training.
- The technology available in this school system is amazing and these studetns are really lucky that thye are able to learn this way.
- Dr. Mary Ann Bell became interested in the use of SMARTboards and suggests that the study showed statistically significant improvement in student attitudes towards both using computers in instruction and towards writing instruction (Bell, 2002).
- This article summarizes this particular persons favor towards the SMARTboard technologies. Some of the reasons mentioned for the enthusiasm over SMARTboards are that they accommodate different learning styles. This links with the next article, so stay tuned! Another reason this technology is gaining popularity is that students love to use technology!
- The author mentions that this technology encourages students to use their critical thinking skills and she doted on how interactive this has proven to be in her classrooms.
- As Dr. Bell continued to discuss her 13 favorite things about the SMARTboard technology, she also mentioned how she used the board with meetings (PTO, technology fairs, etc.) and how much even the adults were impressed by the sheer novelty of the machine.
- Finally, the author mentions that with proper planning preparation and training it is a powerful instructional tool which can be adapted for use with a wide range of subjects and ages (Bell 2002).
Return to Table of Contents 8.
- I believe that SMARTboards are self-differentiating. By that, I mean that students who are tactile learners can touch the board, visual learners can track the changes on the board, and audio learners can have the class discussion (Bell, 2002).
- Our students are surrounded by technology outside of the classroom: their computers at home, video games, and even their cell phones contain more technology that they are aware of and know how to use than most classrooms. This was simply a natural progression into what students are already experiencing outside of the classroom.
- The final article discussed the positive response students with disabilities have had with theSMARTboard technology.
- SMARTboards support inclusive classrooms by offering students many ways to learn information, express ideas, and demonstrate understanding (Torreno, 2009).This is a major idea for me since I want to work with students with disabilities, so knowing ahead of time that this technology really works well with these students can help me plan my classroom and potentially get a grant for this technology if it is not already provided.
- The author continues to write about the different ways students with disabilities can use this technology. When it comes to physical disabilities, this technology allows the student to participate because they can use their fingers (or a dowel as the picture shows) to participate in the interactive nature of the board.
Return to Table of Contents 11.
- This article really hit close to home with me. I am always on the lookout for differentiation possibilities and this board holds so much potential for students with disabilities.
- Because I was in elemtnary school when the computers and phones were just being put into classrooms, I grew up learning about technology. I have realized in recent years that I know so much more than my parents do about computers and technology in general. We have to change with the times, so its important to be accepting and willing to try new things.
- As the technology around us changes, so do we as educators. It is vital to have new ideas about how to use technology to benefit the students because, after all, that is why we do what we do.
- After learning more about the SMARTboard technology, I am interested to use it and see what kinds of lessons I can come up with for my students with and without disabilities.