Counselling Skills for Financial Professionals
Description and Requirements
1. The ability to work independently and to be self-motivated.
2. Reading comprehension and writing composition skills.
3. Employed or seeking employment as a financial professional.
4. Completion of the Mental Health Counsellor Training Course.
1. To acquire knowledge, empathy, and other qualities and skills in the process of
counselling people who are facing major financial decisions.
2. To learn how to support emotions and create strategies related to debt.
3. To acquire and apply approaches to budgeting.
You Will Learn:
1. Skills to assess emotions and issues, such as anxiety reduction, related to financial
management and debt.
2. Skills to begin, deepen, and close the session and the over-all counselling process with a
client facing financial challenges.
3. Skills to heal grief resulting from different types of loss: death of a loved one, breakup of
a relationship, divorce, loss of health, bankruptcy, and others, and how grief can affect
4. Skills to help others adopt healthy communication, reduce hostility, solve problems,
resolve conflicts, listen with empathy, and speak assertively, especially related to financial
5. Approaches to help couples and individuals to identify and address specific issues
affecting financial stability: anxiety, infidelity, addiction, and others; understanding how
childhood experiences may affect financial well-being.
Text and Materials (provided with tuition):
Primary Text: A Woman's Guide To Financial Security After Divorce: The Basics: Creating A
Solid Foundation by Jeffrey A. Landon (sent as a hard copy to your address).
Secondary Text: How To Do Professional Mental Health Counseling by Daniel Keeran, MSW
(sent as a PDF file to your email inbox).
Clinical Assessment Form (sent as a Word .doc file to your inbox)
Tuition: $549 (secure payment link)
1. Design and create a minimum of 100 to 120 short and long-answer review questions
covering the scope and depth of the primary text and provide responses with page
numbers from the text where the answers are found.
2. Complete and submit the Clinical Assessment Questionnaire with a volunteer client
seeking financial support who is aware of the assignment and confidentiality, and that the
content will be disclosed only to the course instructor to meet course requirements.
3. Submit one 30-minute or full verbatim transcript (whichever is shorter) of a session with
a client seeking financial counselling.
Time for completion: Estimating 2 hours per week day, allow approximately 4 to 6 weeks
depending on individual learning style and pace. Time extensions are granted on request.
The Certificate of Counselling Skills for Financial Professionals is awarded upon completion
of the above requirements.
To Register, please complete and send the Registration Form located below or request
more information at email@example.com
Instructor: Daniel Keeran, MA, MSW, therapist and professional counsellor for over 30
years and author of Loss and Grief Counseling Skills, Counseling In A Book, Learn Empathy,
and Effective Counseling Skills. With extensive experience in private practice and hospital
settings, he has conducted many therapy groups and trained thousands of people from the
general public as well as social workers, nurses, and other helping professionals.