TERRYS Timeline of Brand Milestones

  • Published on

  • View

  • Download


Courtesy of Kraft Foods Archives Terry’s confections 1767 -- During the reign of King George III in England, Mr. Bayldon and Mr. Berry form a partnership to sell lozenges, candied peel and other simple confectionery in a little shop in the Bootham area of York. 1823 -- Joseph Terry, an apothecary, marries the sister-in-law of Mr. Berry and Joseph Terry joins the firm of Bayldon & Berry. 1824 -- A factory and retail shop is built on St. Helens Square in York. Their main business was making and decorating wedding and christening cakes. The firm becomes so famous it is commissioned to decorate the christening cake of Edward VIII. The site soon includes a restaurant and café. 1825 -- Mr. Bayldon leaves the business and the elder Mr. Berry dies. Joseph Terry and Mr. Berry’s son become partners under the company name of Terry and Berry. 1828 -- The Terry and Berry partnership is dissolved and Joseph Terry takes over the business, now called Joseph Terry and Company. 1840 -- Three of Joseph Terry’s five sons (Joseph junior, Robert and John) join the business and it is renamed Joseph Terry & Sons. 1850 -- At the time of Joseph Terry’s death his son Joseph junior is only 22 years of age and the company is managed for a few years by the executors and family attorney. 1854 -- Joseph junior, Robert and John Terry take over the business. 1862 -- Due to the expansion of the business, construction begins on a new factory at Clementhorpe in York. Its location on the Ouse River benefits from the twice-weekly steam ships which bring in sugar, glucose, orange and lemon rinds, plus coal for the steam driven plant. 1871 -- Robert Terry dies and his brother John (who had already left the business) dies three years later. Joseph Terry (junior) assumes sole control of the family business. The firm already has a reputation for quality and Joseph sets about to build on that. Between 1866 and 1899 Joseph Terry & Sons pick up gold, silver and bronze medals at Industrial Exhibitions for their excellence of product. As well as national success the company starts to enjoy international fame. Product is exported to Australia and New Zealand. 1880 -- Joseph’s two sons Thomas and Samuel become partners in the business. 1886 -- An addition is built at the Clementhorpe factory to produce chocolate as that part of the confectionery business begins to grow. Prior to this time the products produced at the factory were primarily sugar confections. Chocolate to eat – as opposed to chocolate to drink – was still a comparative novelty. 1895 -- The company name is changed to Joseph Terry & Sons Limited. Courtesy of Kraft Foods Archives 1898 -- Sir Joseph Terry dies. Thomas Terry becomes Chairman of the board. 1903 -- Frank Terry (Sir Joseph’s son) joins the company. 1911 -- Noel Terry – son of Thomas Terry – joins the company. Frank and Noel become joint Managing Directors. 1923 -- Frank Terry becomes Chairman of the board, a key driver on the manufacturing side of the business. Noel Terry is heavily involved in the sales side of the business. Between the two of them they launch a myriad of delicious new chocolate products over the following decades. Many are packaged in beautiful “fancy” boxes with colorful graphics or covered with brocade or velour and ribbons. 1926 -- Demand for Terry’s products grows and the Clementhorpe factory has reached its capacity. A beautiful new factory and offices opens at Bishopthorpe Road in York. Every modern device to produce the best chocolates is put into use in this Neo-Georgian style plant. -- Terry & Sons introduces a unique chocolate treat called Terry’s Dessert Chocolate Apple, 20 segments of chocolate flavored with apple. 1930 -- Terry’s 1767 assortment appears in sales catalogs for the first time, available in one-pound and two-pound sizes. It becomes one of the company’s most popular items. 1931 -- Terry’s introduces its All Gold assortment – available in half-pound, one-pound and two-pound sizes – which also becomes one of its best sellers. It consists of 22 different centers including soft fruit, alcohol and hard caramels. 1932 -- Terry’s Dessert Chocolate Orange is introduced. Both the Chocolate Orange and the Chocolate Apple are produced until World War II (1939) when the factory can no longer obtain ingredients from abroad. When production resumes after the war the orange version proves more popular and the Chocolate Apple is discontinued in 1954. 1937 -- Robin Terry – son of Francis – joins the company. -- Terry’s chocolate factory is honored by a visit from their majesties King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, the Princess Royal. The Royals are given elaborate commemorative “caskets” of chocolate. 1938 -- Special Easter Egg “caskets” are introduced. They are fancy egg-shaped boxes that hold Terry’s most popular chocolate assortments. 1945 -- Peter Terry – son of Noel Terry – joins the company. 1950’s -- Commodity rationing is finally lifted in the UK and Terry’s resumes production of some of its most popular pre-war products, including Terry’s Chocolate Orange, and the All Gold (resumes in 1948) and 1767 Assortments. The word “Dessert” disappears from the Terry’s Chocolate Orange package. 1958 -- Francis Terry retires and Noel becomes Chairman. Courtesy of Kraft Foods Archives 1963 -- The Terry family continues to run the company as a family concern until 1963 when Joseph Terry & Sons Limited is acquired by Forte (Trust House Forte). 1970 -- Noel Terry retires as chairman after 59 years of service. 1976 -- Joseph Terry & Sons Limited registers the Terry’s Milk Chocolate Orange trademark in the US. (#1038254, 20 April 1976) Terry’s All Gold trademark is also registered. (#100596, 21 September 1976) 1977 -- Colgate-Palmolive purchases the Terry’s business from Forte. 1979 -- Terry’s introduces the Chocolate lemon. It is discontinued three years later. 1982 -- United Biscuits plc purchases the Terry’s business from Colgate-Palmolive. 1985 -- Peter Terry, great great grandson of the founder retires as company chairman. 1988 -- United Biscuits plc acquires UK confectioner Callard & Bowser Group (which includes Smith Kendon’s Altoids mints) from Beatrice Foods in the US. United Biscuits combines Callard & Bowser with Terry’s to form the Terry’s Group. 1993 -- Kraft General Foods International (KGFI) acquires Terry’s Group (Terry’s, Callard & Bowser and Altoids) from United Biscuits. It is merged into Kraft’s Jacobs Suchard business. 1996 -- KGFI relaunches Terry’s All Gold assortment in a new sleek, square all-gold box. 1997 -- Comedian Dawn French is featured in a new advertising campaign for Terry’s Chocolate Orange, with the slogan “It’s not Terry’s, its’ mine.” Ms. French remains the brand’s advertising spokesperson until 2007. 1999 -- Terry’s Chocolate Orange Mini Segments – individually wrapped segments of the Chocolate Orange – are introduced in the UK in September. 2000 -- Terry’s Chocolate Raspberry (in Milk and Dark varieties) is introduced in the US. 2002 -- Terry’s Chocolate Orange is now available in the US in pure Milk Chocolate and Peppermint varieties. Terry’s Minis – individually wrapped slices of Chocolate Orange – are also introduced in the US. 2004 -- In April, Kraft announces its intention to close its confectionary plant and warehouse in York, UK by the end of 2005. The production of Terry’s products transfers to facilities in Sweden, Belgium, Poland and Slovakia. 2007 -- Brits can now enjoy Terry’s Chocolate Orange cookies. © Kraft Foods Global Inc.