Ways of Expressing Future
I. Complete the sentences with the verbs below. Usewillor tobe going to.
not buy / take / be / raise / win / not travel / see / like / spend / be / go / work / earn / get / save / love / buy / not be
1. I'm sure your dadhis Christmas present.
2. I think Iin Cartagena when I finish school.
3. Petera new appartment with the money he won.
4. Rosewith her parents because she has to study.
5. Wea film at the new cinema tonight.
6. I think the new TV programmereally successful.
7. I think Irich in the future.
8. We have decided that wenext Christmas with my grandparents.
9. I don't think your parentsyour new boyfriend.
10. The Maths teacherto school tomorrow because he is ill.
11. "My plane leaves at 7 but I don't know how to get to the airport". "Don't worry, Iyou there"
12. We don't want to spend more money on clothes. Weit for the summer holidays.
13. My friends and Itonight for the English exam.
14. Do you think theyenough money for charity?
15. We are late. I'm sure the teachervery angry.
16. I've decided that wethe house because it is too expensive.
17. The film is great. I think itmany prizes.
18. He has got a job as accountant but I don't think shemuch money.
II. Put the verbs in Future Simple, Present Simple or Present Continuous
1. I hope you(forget) to phone me when you get there.
2. We(go) to the shopping centre to buy some shoes.3. The new programme(start) after the news.4. I(meet) the doctor at five.5. The plane(arrive) at seven in the morning.6. My friends and I(meet) at the restaurant to have lunch.7. My parents think we (work)at home in the future.8. It's a funny film. I'm sure you(enjoy)it.9. We(fly) to Paris on Sunday.10. The boat(not arrive) until nine o'clock.
III. Complete the text with the most appropriate form of the verbs, using will, be going to or the present simple.Be, give, have, make, not start, not stop
I was standing at the bus stop reading my horoscope in the newspaper. It said You ________________ good moments and bad moments today. I looked up and saw the bus coming. Then I realized it _____________ because it was already full. Oh, no, I thought. If I ______________ walking fast, I _______________ late for my first class! I had just started walking when a car pulled up beside me and one of my classmates leaned out. Hey, Jean, get in, we ______________ you a lift. Its amazing how the bad moments _________________ the good moments feel so much better.
IV. Some of the sentences are correct, and some have a word which should not be there. If the sentence is correct, put a tick (). If it is incorrect, cross the unnecessary word out of the sentence and write it in the space.
Theyre probably going to knock the building down. ________________________We are be going to get a dog soon. _________________be____________________The bus is leaves at eight twenty. _________________________________________The doors of the theatre are about to open. __________________________________The meeting will be start at half past seven. _________________________________The festival is for to take place in June. _____________________________________My friend will be calling here tomorrow morning. ____________________________
V. Complete the conversation. Use will, be going to or a present tense. Choose the best form.
Peter: Hello. Where are you going?Polly: To my evening class. Im learning Swedish. And next week I ______________ (have) a chance to speak it for real. I ________________ (go) to Sweden for three weeks. I _______________ (visit) some friends there.Peter: That _________________ (be) nice.Polly: Well, Id rather hurry. My lesson ________________ (start) at half past seven, and its twenty-five past now.Peter: OK. Come and see me when you __________________ (get) back from Sweden.Polly: Thanks. I ________________ (send) you a postcard.
VI. Will or be going to?
1. A: We dont have any bread.B: I know. I __________________ get some from the shop.2. A: We dont have any bread.B: Really? I __________________ get some from the shop then.3. A: Why do you need to borrow my suitcase?B: I __________________ visit my mother in Scotland next month.4. A: Im really cold.B: I __________________ turn the heating on.5. A: Are you going to Johns party tonight?B: Yes. Are you going too? I __________________ give you a lift.6. A: What are your plans after you leave university?B: I __________________ work in a hospital in Africa. I leave on the 28th.7. (The phone rings)A: I __________________ get it!8. A: Are you ready to order?B: I cant decide Okay, I __________________ have the steak, please.9. A: Are you busy tonight? Would you like to have coffee?B: Sorry. I __________________ go to the library. Ive been planning to studyall day.10. A: Why are you carrying a hammer?B: I __________________ put up some pictures.
VII. Complete the sentences with the correct form of will or going to and the verbs in brackets.
1.- When we get home, we ___________ (have) dinner.2.- I know they ___________ (feel) very happy if they win the match.3.- Theyve already decided on their next summer holiday. They ____________ (do) a tour of Norway.4.- She thinks that the Take That concert __________ (be) really exciting.5.- What are your plans for this evening? I ________ (meet) my friends and then go to a birthday party.6.- If you revise for the exam , Im sure you ________ (get) a good result.7.- The weather forecast is good for the next few days. It _________ (be) very sunny.8.- I cant come on the march tomorrow. I ___________ (look after) my cousins.9.- In the future, I think humans ___________ (wipe out) many different species.10.-He is buying some butter and eggs because he _________ (make) a cake later.11.- This homework is very easy. I know we __________ (do) it very quickly.12.- In five years time, I _____________ (be) at university.13.- She wants to get her mum a birthday present. But she ____________ (not buy) it today.14.- Their suitcases are packed. They ______________ (go) on holiday.15.- If we go to Paris, we ____________ (take) lots of pictures.16.- My brother thinks it ______________ (snow) tomorrow.17.- Its very late! Hurry up or we ___________ (be) late for work.18.- Look at that boy at the top of that tree! He ___________ (fall).19.- When we go home, we ____________ (watch) TV. We dont want to miss our favourite programme.20.- Im sure they ___________ (lose) the match.21.- Its very hot in here. I ___________ (open) the window.22.- Its a secret! OK I ___________ (not tell) anyone.23.- My cousin ___________ (work) in the UK for a year.24.- I ___________ (love) you forever.25.- Im thirsty. I ____________ (get) you a glass of water.