1. Developing Confidence Through Public Speaking MARTHA SCHWER MADISON AREA TECHNICAL COLLEGE ORAL & INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION Accessibility Note: For a transcript, please look at the bottom of each slide.
2. Definition of Public Speaking Apprehension Public Speaking Apprehension is a type of communication anxiety; it is the level of fear a person experiences when anticipating or actually speaking in front of an audience
3. Causes of Public Speaking Apprehension Biologically-based temperament, like introversion. Previous negative experiences Lack of experience Negative self-talk in general (habit) Photo by ThisYearsLove. Happy Dog, Embarrassed Dog.
4. Public speaking apprehension Coping with Public Speaking Apprehension Get over it by getting on with it! Force yourself to give speeches. It DOES get easier ! The best way to keep public speaking apprehension at bay: PREPARE! You dont want to be rid of ALL nervousness. Photo by Chris Hunleker. Woman prepping for ocean swim.
5. Phases of Speaking Apprehension Anticipation reaction: Anxiety you feel before you begin to speak Confrontation Reaction The nervousness you feel as you begin to speak. Adaptation Reaction The nervousness you feel as you begin to speak.
6. Communication orientation 5 Methods to Reduce Public Speaking Apprehension motivation (COM) technique Visualization technique Systematic desensitization technique Cognitive restructuring technique Public speaking skills training technique
7. Basic Public Speaking Tips to Prevent or Reduce Anxiety Specific techniques to reduce public speaking apprehension: Allow sufficient time to prepare Practice (and time) your speech aloud Choose an appropriate time & environment for speaking Use positive self-talk Focus on your message