1. Paraphrases & Summaries Because you use your own words, paraphrases and summaries dont need quotation marks, and theres no need to format them as block quotes.
2. Paraphrases & Summaries You may or may not need to include the authors name in the text. The use of the authors name will depend on the information youre paraphrasing or summarizing, etc.
3. Paraphrases & Summaries Place the superscript note at the end of the clause or sentence that references the original source.
4. Paraphrases & Summaries Heres an example that includes the authors name. According to Davis, when they learned of an ape's ability to use sign language, both linguists and animal behaviorists were taken by surprise.3
5. Paraphrases & Summaries Heres an example that doesnt include the authors name. When they learned of an ape's ability to use sign language, both linguists and animal behaviorists were taken by surprise.4