- 1. Department of Mathematical Sciences Professional Science Master’s Degree in Industrial Mathematics UMass Lowell faculty.uml.edu/math
2. Professional Science Master’s (PSM) Degree
- An innovative degree that:
- Prepares graduates for science careers in business, government, or non-profit sectors.
- Combines rigorous study in science or mathematics with workforce skills-based coursework in business, management, and communications,
3. PSM Programs…
- Emphasize the written and verbal communication skills, leadership, and team-building required in professional settings.
- Provide connections to potential employers through internships.
- Often include cross disciplinary courses.
4. Program Examples
PSM programs are interdisciplinary in fields such as: 5. PSM Statistics
- The PSM initiative began in 1997.
- Programs in 25 states plus the District of Columbia
- ~2,700 graduates as of 2008
- UML Industrial Mathematics has since been added
6. Requirements Overview
- Math and Science:27 credits including a four course cluster:
- Others can be proposed and designed by student and advisor
- Professional Courses:9 credits
- Professional Communication (required)
- Project Management, Market Research,Project Development… (2 of these)
- Paid internship:1 credit(~350 hours)