Clean language - Clean Listening - Agile2014
This a deck for a workshop on clean language - much of which was practice oriented. The effect of using clean language is better thinking and better listening. It shifts your way of relating to people quite radically with just a little practice.
- C L E A N L A N G U A G E Q U E S T I O N S F O R A S P I R I N G A G I L E L E A R N E R S Andrea Chiou July 27, 2014 A G I L E 2 0 1 4 W O R K S H O P
- Andrea Chiou, agile coach @andreachiou Blog: www.adaptivecollaboration.com Virginia Satir Gerald Weinberg David Grove Walker Inuencers Caitlin firstname.lastname@example.org
- W H AT I W O U L D L I K E T O H AV E H A P P E N The essence of clean questions Demonstration and practice Clean Feedback Resources and Community ! Q&A
- L A N D S C A P E ! Interruptions Feeling safe ! Being listened to well is rare Need for clarity ! Metaphor
- C L E A N Q U E S T I O N S For listeners: get a more accurate understanding of the words being used. For speaker: room to expand, think, nish, and new insights
- N U RT U R E T H I N K I N G I N O T H E R S by separating away our reactions assumptions interpretations need for contribution pre-suppositions advice biases judgements
- Metaphor is the modulator between the conscious and subconscious that fosters understanding between people
- F I V E S E N S E S WA R M U P See an elephant Taste lemon Hear music Feel hot sand Smell perfume
- D E M O W H E N Y O U A R E L E A R N I N G AT Y O U R B E S T, Y O U A R E L I K E W H AT ?
- 3 C O R E C L E A N Q U E S T I O N S ANDIS THERE ANYTHING ELSE ABOUT X? ANDWHAT KIND OF X IS THAT X? X is a word or a phrase that your partner used AND THATS X. LIKE WHAT?
- W H E N Y O U A R E L E A R N I N G AT Y O U R B E S T, Y O U A R E L I K E W H AT ? P R A C T I C E S E S S I O N # 1 - PA I R S
- 3 C O R E C L E A N Q U E S T I O N S ANDIS THERE ANYTHING ELSE ABOUT X? ANDWHAT KIND OF X IS THAT X? X is a word or a phrase using the exact words of the person you are talking to only use the questions, nothing else AND THATS X. LIKE WHAT?
- PRACTICE SESSION #2 - PAIRS Learning at your best Parenting at your best Coding at your best Coaching at your best Studying at your best Designing at your best
- C L E A N F E E D B A C K * What worked well for you? 1.) ! 2.) What did not work as well for you? 1.) ! 2.) O B S E R VAT I O N / W H AT Y O U I N F E R F R O M T H AT / W H AT WA S T H E I M PA C T O N *This is but one of many of the Systemic Modeling tools of Caitlin Walker for group interaction
- J A M E S L AW L E Y A N D P E N N Y T O M P K I N S The original book on modeling via Clean Language See cleanlanguage.co.uk
- J U D Y R E E S A N D W E N D Y S U L L I VA N ! ! ! This book is a gentle introduction to Clean with plenty of exercises and examples for everyday use See learncleanlanguage.co.uk
- M A R I A N WAY This book is an excellent guide to Clean. Laid out simply with beautiful illustrations and examples. See cleanlearning.co.uk
- C A I T L I N WA L K E R 15 years of pioneering work in clean at various institutions See www.trainingattention.co.uk
- W H E R E H A S I T B E E N U S E D ? interviews hiring coaching research ITschools doctors geriatric care large organizations therapy and social work police investigations ISO 9000 audits
- W H O I S U S I N G I T ? http://www.leanpub.com/whoisusingclean
- Q & A
- S O M E M O R E C L E A N Q U E S T I O N S Intention what would you like to have happen? Developing: what kind of X (is that X)? thats X like what? is there anything else about X? Location: where is X ? or whereabouts is X? does X have a size or shape? Time or Signicance: when X, what happens next? when X, then what happens? Time or Source where does (or could) X come from? what happens just before X? ! Prior to asking the questions on the left, you summarize and focus attention with the following. 1.) And X (stuff they said, in their words) . 2.) And when X (specic word or phrase you want to focus attention on), 3.) clean question about some word or phrase (could be something other than X) !